Take a good hard look into the life of new pope. To give an overview he thinks that:

Homosexuality is still a sin. He tells people to respect homosexuals, but whent the Argintinian government is going to make sam-sex marriage legal he says, "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

During his early life he gave up all his fancy posetions (personal cook, facy place to live, chauffeured limo) and made a pledge of poverty. This sounds awefully noble right? Wrong, look at why he had those things to start out with (because he was a cardinal). Think about what the Bible verson of Jesus would have done. He probably wouldn't have even considered giving those things out to preachers of his word anyway. So denying riches should be something that cardinals and popes HAVE to do an shouldn't be praised for. By the way, the pledge of poverty meant that he just had to live like everyone else in the community (what a saint -- sarcasm)

Lastly, there was a criminal complaint filed against him by a human rights lawyer for the abduction of two Jesuit priests. However, there was no evidence to prove that he had anything to do with it. :)

Please leave your thoughts and comments on the new pope

Tags: argentina, atheism, catholic, christian, church, corruption, francis, pope, power, religion, More…the, zealots

Views: 3082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has been applied to priests since at least the mid-80s.  I'm not sure that there's a reliable psych test for pedophilia, though, and I would worry about the risk of false positives.

@Heather - RE: "made to believe that praying and baking bread all day would eliminate his sexual desires" - I'm guessing they never saw the movie, "American Pie" --

Honestly, I think some of those monks could have written American Pie - the man on man version.

I heard they used boysenberry for the pie scene.

Sometimes, awful is what we do best --

Actually, I suppose you could call it, awe-ful!

@Angela - As you say, catholics believe god is jesus, jesus is god, and they also have a ghost in there.

They cannot change the laws - A pope, because he is chosen by god, and talks to god, can change anything he likes, and does so, when it suits.

Popes who were married -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually_active_popes

As kOrsan says, they can twist shit until it fits their agenda.

The pope should be drinking poison, and patting snakes, if he really wants to prove his faith in god. That is in the bible.

And once again, in case you missed it,Jesus DID NOT SAY love the person but hate the act - St,. Augustine of Hippo said it, albeit re-interpreted, Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum - 534-430

John VIII (872 - 882): John was paranoid, though perhaps with good reason, and his entire papacy was characterized by various political plots and intrigue. When he feared that people were plotting to overthrow him, he had a number of powerful bishops and other officials excommunicated. This ensured that they moved against him and a relative was convinced to slip poison in his drink. When he didn’t die fast enough, members of his own entourage beat him to death.

http://atheism.about.com/od/popesandthepapacy/a/murdered.htm

See, he did drink poison, but not intentionally. No mention of snakes.

So popes should behave irrationally in order to prove their faith is rational?  An interesting theory.

Might I suggest that your arguments would be stronger if you avoided all the false straw men?  The pope is chosen by a group of 120 men, not by God, and no one believes otherwise.  The pope does not talk to God, other than to pray like any other human can.  The pope cannot change anything he likes, that would be silly.

Straw men arguments are comforting and can get you nods and back-slaps within monocultural belief groups like the one that exists here, but they really are a very lazy approach which can result in considerable error.  One need only look at the anti-climate-change "literature" to see the same technique used frequently. 

So popes should behave irrationally in order to prove their faith is rational?

She said "to prove his faith in god." Nowhere was she talking about him proving the rationality of his faith. That's inherently not possible.

The pope is chosen by a group of 120 men, not by God

What? How long have you been sitting on this information?!

The pope cannot change anything he likes, that would be silly.

Yeah, your religion never does anything silly, or change its mind. I mean the earth being flat, the universe revolving around earth, denying evolution, and Limbo were just flukes.

My religion does all kinds of silly things.  It's not a person, though, so it has no mind to change.

Catholicism never denied evolution to my knowledge.  Do you have a citation on that?  I'd be curious.  I think you're confusing us with the fundamentalists.

Copernicus of course was a Catholic priest, and now our pope is a former chemistry teacher. 

And now your pope is an openly bigoted homophobe who sticks his nose in uteri it doesn't belong :)

Are you proud of this?

@Sam Redmon

It's bad enough that you throw around shit like this:

"There was no evidence to support he had anything to do with it, but these accusations don't come from nowhere."

...but then to accuse others with

"start throwing around offensive accusations like that you commit a fallacy known as Circumstantial ad Hominen"

What's Latin for double standard?

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service