Take a good hard look into the life of new pope. To give an overview he thinks that:

Homosexuality is still a sin. He tells people to respect homosexuals, but whent the Argintinian government is going to make sam-sex marriage legal he says, "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

During his early life he gave up all his fancy posetions (personal cook, facy place to live, chauffeured limo) and made a pledge of poverty. This sounds awefully noble right? Wrong, look at why he had those things to start out with (because he was a cardinal). Think about what the Bible verson of Jesus would have done. He probably wouldn't have even considered giving those things out to preachers of his word anyway. So denying riches should be something that cardinals and popes HAVE to do an shouldn't be praised for. By the way, the pledge of poverty meant that he just had to live like everyone else in the community (what a saint -- sarcasm)

Lastly, there was a criminal complaint filed against him by a human rights lawyer for the abduction of two Jesuit priests. However, there was no evidence to prove that he had anything to do with it. :)

Please leave your thoughts and comments on the new pope

Tags: argentina, atheism, catholic, christian, church, corruption, francis, pope, power, religion, More…the, zealots

Views: 3104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you start to get emotionally involved in an argument or start throwing around offensive accusations like that you commit a fallacy known as Circumstantial ad Hominen. It'll make people not want to listen to you or not take you seriously. Please try to keep it tame.

Are you asking for a Physics lesson?

Please see me at my Officer hours

For better understanding of why quarks have "colors" and "flavors" please read up on "quantum chromodynamics"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chromodynamics

No, no need for a physics lesson.  My background is astrophysics and cosmology, though I do a fair bit in physics education research these days.

So you actually work in physics and can't understand the difference between a quark and the invisible faery with whom you imagine you speak?  Seriously?  Can you see why those who lack your delusions feel that you should be receiving mental health care?

Well it wasn't really the holy spirit, it was the other cardinals. The other issue is that pope francis was runner-up to benedict in the last conclave. Basically, it wasn't a tough choice. This pope is just as old, just as stoic, and nothing will change. It'll be the same pope as last time.

yep - We know that it was really human beings who elected the Pope but thats not how Catholics see it ... Catholics believe he was chosen by God.

They tried to make this guy seem different because he has a Jesuit background so they are saying that he has more of an interest in the poor  and social justice ...

I do agree with you Sam ... same ol same ol

My girlfriend is catholic. Thats not how they see it at all.

Sam - With all due respect - I never use Catholic friends as my source of information ...

I try to research facts ....

Maybe you should talk to more to get a better understanding of what the majority of them believe about their own religion. Catholic friends can be a good source of knowledge, at a Jesuit university I have a never ending stream of them.

If you are at a Jesuit university, might I suggest that while Catholic friends may be an OK source of information, Catholic friends who are majoring in Theology would be a better source of information, and the professors teaching in the Theology department as well as the Jesuits teaching in the other departments would be the best source of information.

I'm required to take 3 theology classes. In all of them I make sure to ask questions that intrigue me about the faithful and where these beliefs come from.

I wish I could get someone to help me understand. I've asked many times - no luck.

I was raised a Roman Catholic and educated by the Jesuits. But I'm afraid I just don't get The Bible. - Not what the Bible says, but why ANYONE would care what The Bible says. How could anyone, much less hundreds of millions, believe that writings THAT full of holes and with that kind of dubious history could possibly be divinely inspired or, in any way, be worthy of even a second look.

With the Bible set aside as completely irrelevant, suddenly Jesus disappears, then God himself, then we're all on our way to a rational world.

Yes, I DO want to convert people - wake them up, more like.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 19 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 64 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 3 hours ago. 63 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Simon Mathews 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service