Michael Brown was 18 years old, black and unarmed when a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri shot him to death after a scuffle in the street. The incident has provoked ongoing mass protests, vandalism, and national calls for an independent investigation and higher standards of police accountability.

The police, citing death threats, have refused to release the name of the police officer who shot Brown. The hacker collective Anonymous has promised to discover and make public the officer's identity anyway. I suspect they will succeed (if they haven't already).

General questions for those who have followed this story:

Do you think the shooting was reasonable under the circumstances?
How do you feel about the police?
Do you trust the police? Why or why not?
Who do the police answer to? Who ought the police answer to?
Are police held too accountable, properly accountable or not accountable enough for their actions?

Tags: Brown, Michael, Police

Views: 2465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Killing an unarmed man in the act of surrendering would qualify."

Again with the inflammatory language.

How do you know Michael Brown was surrendering?  If Michael Brown took one step toward the Officer, just one, he wouldn't have been surrendering to the Officer he would have been advancing upon the Officer wouldn't he?

"You don't know what inflammatory language is, Gregg."

Gallop, from your link:

"Inflammatory language is a form of speech that is used with the intent to stir up emotions, elicit anger, or invoke a physical reaction."

From Merrian-Webster:

"1:  tending to excite anger, disorder, or tumult

2:  tending to inflame or excite the senses"
"tending to arouse anger, hostility, passion, etc."
.........................................................................................................
IMHO your statement:
"Killing an unarmed man in the act of surrendering would qualify."
Meets the criteria to be called inflammatory language.  Primary because we do  not know if Michael Brown was surrendering or attacking Officer Wilson.
The main reason for my position is because we have not heard from Officer Wilson yet.
Gallop, your comments like:
"That'll be Wilson's story of course, starting with "he went for my gun".
and
"Yeah. Officer Wilson has never come forward to allege what happened. Funny, that."
are to me specious and inflammatory.
"Officer Wilson's itchy trigger finger"

More inflammatory verbiage.

Gallop referring to Officer Wilson as 'a killer with a itchy trigger finger' is picking a side.

"Multiple witnesses in riot-torn Ferguson, Mo., said that the unarmed black teen killed by a white cop attacked the officer in his patrol car before the teen was shot, according to a new report."

Source

This whole thing shows why eyewitness testimony is so unreliable. Witnesses also claim Brown was shot in the back while running. Only the very survivable shot in his arm MIGHT have come from the back, but it's hard to know because any part of the arm that can face forward can also face backward. However, even the family's own medical examiner says most of the shots entered his body from the front which is consistent with him rushing the cop. There was also a head wound described as "to the top of his head" and I don't know what to make of that unless brown was shot in the head while he was dropping.

"More ignorance, only this time it's willful ignorance."

ignorance:

a lack of knowledge, understanding, or education : the state of being ignorant

Will Rogers:

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Which would make me ignorant, just not this time, "willful" of otherwise.

................................................................................................

Gallop, your claim:

"The overeager trigger declarations belong in Belle's bailiwick."

Gallop, here's your full sentence:

"Exactly how does this apply to Officer Wilson's itchy trigger finger?"

You can't blame your sentence construction on Belle, your question asserts that Officer Wilson has an "itchy trigger finger".  Your sentence contains a positive declarative statement defining the state of Officer Wilson's finger, those are your words not Belle's, are they not?

.....................................................................................................

And I consider that inflammatory verbiage.

YOU WIN!!!

(in a metaphorical in your own opinion sense)

:)

Geez Gallup, lighten up! lol

Name calling is one form of inflammatory language.  The most basic definition of "killer" is a person who kills, and no one is disputing that Officer Wilson killed Michael Brown.  But it's not that simple, IMO.  True enough, the link explains that inflammatory language is used with the intent to stir up emotions, and maybe that was not the intent.  But with synonyms like assassin, butcher, executioner, and exterminator, "killer" stirs up emotions, intended or not.

Have you ever said to someone, "Huh. Ya know, I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe you have a point."?

It's not in GM's DNA. And, yes, I actually HAVE granted that someone has a point. Not often, but sometimes, when they have actually proved their point.

GM, you have a point. LOL

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service