hi just going to point out that the pledge of allegiance was added in the seventies and can be changed. and i want your views on that

Tags: allegiance, of, pledge

Views: 472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

exactly
So, you refuse to show loyalty to the concepts our country is based on and speak out for "liberty and justice for all", in protest that this isn't upheld?  Are you sure you've thought this through?
I don't believe it is a "farce" to be patriotic.  I love my country (although I am fearful and quite often disgusted by my government).  Being patriotic is the only way that we can change this country back to its glory.  That is the whole point of xianity: it is decidedly NOT patriotic.  Everything that xianity stands for is anti-American.  I think it is much more appropriate to recite the pledge but insist on not saying the "under god" part.  It sends a much clearer message.

Patriot: One who loves, supports, and defends one's country. Patriotism: love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it.

Hmmm.  Don't think so.

Yep, I completely agree.
I think the difference is pledging allegiance to the republic vs. pledging allegiance to the government of the republic.  I have pledged allegiance to the republic since I joined the Corp at 19.  I DO NOT pledge allegiance to the government that is steadily undermining this great country.

I often omit the part about god.  Sometimes I add "and liberty and justice for the priviledged and powerful."  Other times, I don't bother adding anything.

My brother's ring tone is "proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free" and I usually sing along with "Proud to be an American, where at least I can pretend I'm free!"  LOL

Remaining seated during the Pledge, in my opinion, is a little disrespectful. It's not a requirement to recite the Pledge, especially if you disagree with the "under God" part (I do), but the underlying message of the Pledge of Allegiance is not "I'm Christian, and so is everyone else in this country." It is "I'm an American, and I'm a patriot."

Frankly, I'd push for "in God we trust" to be removed from our money first. Reciting the Pledge can be easily avoided. Spending money isn't quite as easy to avoid (if you're looking to boycott, I mean).

I have a permanent marker in my truck and every time I get change (in the form of bills), I spend the few seconds it takes marking a line through "In a make believe sky fairy We Trust".  I've been doing it for about a year and have never seen the bills that I mark again, although I have seen bills that other people mark. 

We need to create a conscientious effort among the Atheist community to really start driving this effort.  You are correct.  If you care at all about dispelling the delusion that America is a "xian nation", we need to start working hard at getting that off our dollars and one of the ways that we can all quietly protest and, if we ALL start doing it, I think effectively work toward that change is to mark every single bill we all come across.

Interesting concept. A number of years ago in San Diego people had signs on their laws that said "Dogs and Sailors keep off the grass."  The payroll office began stamping money with a note saying something to the effect that this money came from The U.S. Navy. - to show how much money was circulating in the area because of the Navy bases. It quelled the anti-sailor rhetoric.

Interesting tidbit. I appreciate the gain in knowledge sir. Thank You.

RSS

Forum

Gideons International

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 2 hours ago. 5 Replies

Bible Belt Promiscuity

Started by Dante in Advice. Last reply by Dr. Bob yesterday. 11 Replies

am i the only athiest that believes in spirits

Started by Katie Patterson in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 2 hours ago. 71 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

YES

Posted by Reg The Fronkey Farmer on May 23, 2015 at 5:00pm 7 Comments

The Purpose of Atheism

Posted by Pope Beanie on May 22, 2015 at 8:35pm 2 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service