hi just going to point out that the pledge of allegiance was added in the seventies and can be changed. and i want your views on that

Tags: allegiance, of, pledge

Views: 458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Remaining seated during the Pledge, in my opinion, is a little disrespectful. It's not a requirement to recite the Pledge, especially if you disagree with the "under God" part (I do), but the underlying message of the Pledge of Allegiance is not "I'm Christian, and so is everyone else in this country." It is "I'm an American, and I'm a patriot."

Frankly, I'd push for "in God we trust" to be removed from our money first. Reciting the Pledge can be easily avoided. Spending money isn't quite as easy to avoid (if you're looking to boycott, I mean).

I have a permanent marker in my truck and every time I get change (in the form of bills), I spend the few seconds it takes marking a line through "In a make believe sky fairy We Trust".  I've been doing it for about a year and have never seen the bills that I mark again, although I have seen bills that other people mark. 

We need to create a conscientious effort among the Atheist community to really start driving this effort.  You are correct.  If you care at all about dispelling the delusion that America is a "xian nation", we need to start working hard at getting that off our dollars and one of the ways that we can all quietly protest and, if we ALL start doing it, I think effectively work toward that change is to mark every single bill we all come across.

Interesting concept. A number of years ago in San Diego people had signs on their laws that said "Dogs and Sailors keep off the grass."  The payroll office began stamping money with a note saying something to the effect that this money came from The U.S. Navy. - to show how much money was circulating in the area because of the Navy bases. It quelled the anti-sailor rhetoric.

Interesting tidbit. I appreciate the gain in knowledge sir. Thank You.

Fascinating!  Dogs and Sailors--how insulting.

Yea according to wikipedia,

On March 11, 2010, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance in the case of Newdow vs Rio Linda Union School District.[28][29]In a 2-1 decision, the appellate court ruled that the words were of a "ceremonial and patriotic nature" and did not constitute an establishment of religion.[28] Judge Stephen Reinhardt dissented, writing that "the state-directed, teacher-led daily recitation in public schools of the amended 'under God' version of the Pledge of Allegiance... violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution." [30]

On November 12, 2010, in a unanimous decision,[31] the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in Boston affirmed a ruling by a New Hampshire lower federal court which found that the pledge's reference to God doesn't violate students' rights"

So pretty much they don't find it unconstitutional. I find it bullshit. Seriously this country needs to fix things like this that refer to religion. I don't know what else we can do since the supreme court already has ruled on it multiple times. Guess we're gonna have to just keep appealing and re-appealing. 

I agree on Keith's^ idea that says marking out 'god' on dollar bills silently. It spreads a message. Even though it is against the law to do this it isn't hard to avoid getting caught honestly. 

My parents found out that I was using a stamp that marked "unconstitutional" or something over "in god we trust" and flipped out. I haven't been doing that since.
Actually, it is not against the law.  It is unlawful to make money unusable.  Marking out "god" does not make the bills unusable as currency.  Therefore, it is completely legal to do so.

I pledge of allegiance 

To the flag

Of the United Christians of America

And to the Theocracy

For which it stands

One nation
Under an evil celestial dictator

Highly Divided

With Liberty and Justice

for Christians only

[Amen?]

I don't like the pledge 

The pledge of allegiance with the addition of "under god" is the most completely and obviously un-Constitutional law imaginable--short of the actual adoption of an established religion.

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/11/pledge-of-allegian...

Okay, you do realize that it isn't actually a "law", right?  And there is no law that says you have to say any given part or, in fact, any of it, right? 

Don't get me wrong.  I think it's a perfect example of xians shoving their religion down everyone's throats and, if it actually WHERE a law, I would gladly go to jail rather than say it.  But I just wanted to point out that it is not, in fact, an unconstitutional "law".

It was adopted as the official pledge of allegiance by Congress and signed into LAW by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, whose signing statement indicated that he clearly knew and approved of its intent to adopt a governmental stance on religion.

This LAW can be found in section 1 of title 4 of the U.S. Code.  http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/4/4.html

A law needn't require everyone to do something to be a law.  And, in fact, the Supreme Court recognized in 1943 that it was un-Constitutional to require students to pledge allegiance to the flag.

Furthermore, it is un-Constitutional for our Government to take any action "respecting the establishment of religion"--meaning tending to establish a religion as the official religion of the U.S.  That includes an act of Congress that identifies our nation as having an official religious viewpoint.  The notion that our nation is "under god" is not only an official religious viewpoint, it can only mean in this context that our nation is subservient to god.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service