hi just going to point out that the pledge of allegiance was added in the seventies and can be changed. and i want your views on that

Tags: allegiance, of, pledge

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you even tried to change it like marilyn o hair (google it) the best his is america's most hated woman for deducting the stuff from school. You'll need to be an atheist martyr for that.
You should have heard all the sick jokes that were being told when she and her family disappeared. It was disgusting - especially in light of what happened to them.

Madalyn Murray O'Hair

I had no idea who she was before you pointed this out.  Thank you so much - I'm really glad to learn this interesting piece of organized atheist history.

yes thank you i meant the fifties and i was speaking of the under god part, i think it would be wise for atheists to protest this openly.  oh by the way im brand new to this site, can you tell me what SCOTUS is?

Yeah, priorities.

thank you for the warm welcome, and clarification. just for the sake of conversation, i read that the military now has a spirituality test which if you answer as an atheist you do not pass and cannot join. but i dont remember details.

I don't know how far back the practice extends, but what you might be referring to is a 'spiritual fitness' component on a test that deals with soldiers' ability to cope with warfare.

Here is an article on it (NPR).

yes you are correct, that is what i was referring to.

Thankfully Jehovah's Witness' had The Pledge of allegiance thrown of the class room, but it kept creeping back. I recall that  Madalyn Murray O'Hair put a final stop to it's recitation at school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minersville_School_District_v._Gobitis

"There was discipline if the student didn't do this and the teacher wanted to hear each child. She would call out the ones that she couldn't hear or the ones she thought was lip synching."

I thought it was a person's right to not recite the pledge, student's included.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

What grades were the classes?  Not that it should matter, but I can kind see how a young child would be taken less seriously for refusing to recite the pledge than a high school student.

When I was in school, we didn't have to say it. Most people stood, whether they said it or not, but some who were against it for religious reasons (they considered it to be praying to an idol) sat quietly in their seats until it was finished.
yea im still in school, we are asked to stand but my teacher doesn't make us say it. but it is still said over intercom.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

R.I.P What Does it Mean to You?

Started by Stephen Sutton in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 17 minutes ago. 76 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service