When I buy airline tickets, there's usually a box directing me to choose whether I'd like to sit by the window and what type of meal I want (weird because there never is a meal). I can choose the window or aisle seat, or "no preference". I can choose a vegetarian meal, one with low sodium or "no preference". A lot of times, I click "no preference" and sit in my aisle seat with my peanuts and try to endure the weird smells circulating through the cabin.

When you're born, you have some options about what your purpose will or could be. For most people, though, the stewardess has failed to hand you your selection sheet. Without being aware of it, you select "no preference" and you end up serving whatever purpose your parents deem appropriate. When people are born into Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist homes, they are handed their purpose without ever having viewed their options. In fact, they don't know there are any others... and they assume anyone who doesn't serve the same purpose serves no purpose.

Christianity is like a default purpose; like the meal on the plane that includes meat and a lot of salt. The reason it's the "default" is because it's considered the norm; most people don't have a problem with meat or peanuts and don't need to bother about making sure the crew knows it. Most people (in the US) are Christian and it really occurs to no one that there is any other way to live. They keep railing about how atheists have "no purpose", but the fact is atheists have taken a much more active role in their [flight] experience. Instead of being content with what has been preselected, we are creative enough to come up with our own purposes.

It's obvious, on T|A, that we're all passionate about different things. There are feminists and animal rights activists; there are gay-rights supporters; there are people who simply love travel; there are parents whose purpose is raising their children; there are artists... the list goes on and on and on. We have chosen our purpose instead of letting "the airline" choose for us; instead of letting the clergy or our ancestors choose.

Christianity is the The Universal Purpose (unless, of course, you're in, say, India... or somewhere else); it is a (one) purpose that just happens to be the norm and the default. Christians, when you're ready to be a little more original, there are many purposes to choose from.

Please, don't set all your preferences to "default".

Tags: Christianity, atheism, atheist, default, preference, purpose

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That frightens me a bit... aren't you a Mechanic in the military? :P
I adore this analogy! A clear cut argument against indoctrination.
Sorry about the smells in the cabin. The Pressurization gives me gas. :P

That's a great analogy. I'm a gunna file it away and steal your point one day.
Very well said. Now I am going to share this with some of my friends...
Awww thanks, Greg... and everyone else who liked the analogy :D
"When people are born into Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist homes, they are handed their purpose without ever having viewed their options."

Yup... lots of other "default" settings. I suppose we could say those are all different operating systems and whoever bought a PC or Mac never changed the settings. Like, it really bugs me when Mac users never change their desktop background and it is forever the space-burst nova thing.

Christians rarely see the most obvious flaws in their thinking, sooo... I harbor no hope that, if they ever read my blog, they'd have an epiphany. Although... it did happen to me somewhere along the way; nothing is impossible... except god's existence.
Great analogy! Would an atheist choose the window seat for a better view of the surrounding landscape or the aisle seat for more freedom to move about the cabin?

...and what type of meal I want (weird because there never is a meal).

I know, right? The last flight that I was on, the only food that was served were mixed nuts for three dollars a bag.
Wow this is really well written. Awesome!
Normally meals are only served on fairly long flights. For example, when I fly from Detroit to Tokyo nonstop it takes around 12 to 13 hours. For this flight the passengers are served a "dinner," then halfway through we get a "snack," and finally when there is about 2 hours left in the flight we get a "breakfast." However, if it is a flight from Detroit to New York then I'd just get a bag of peanuts and maybe a drink.
The dinners have gotten smaller and less enjoyable, too. On flights listed as having a 'lunch' meal, it's usually just a small sandwich. Often they don't even bring it to you, instead you are supposed to grab a bag from a large box on the gangway while boarding.

RSS

Forum

The Doctor and the Farmer

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 11 Replies

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 2 hours ago. 12 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 6 hours ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 10 hours ago. 8 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service