I want to talk about phobias. I suppose one could be afraid of just about anything.

According to the NIMH (source: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/1SPEC_ADULT.shtml) ....

Phobias are said to be marked and persistent fear and avoidance of a specific object or situation.

I found this list of phobias: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias

Do you have any phobias?

Have you ever gotten treatment for a phobia?

How do you know the difference between a phobia and a rational fear of something?

I have an irrational fear of men and I'm trying to work through it....but I hope the discussion can help anyone with a phobia open up. I hope we can laugh a little too....I remember so many little things I've been "afraid" of only to laugh at myself later. That ever happen to you? Or is it just me? Lol.....

Oh yah, can phobias be HEALTHY? Why did phobias evolve?

Views: 589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's racism. We whities like to keep track of those against whom we want to discriminate.

I appreciate the honesty. We Americans definitley measure the rest of the world against our norm: your average white (male) person is 'standard.'

I think that depends upon the language and the culture. When one culture is very powerful and/or ubiquitous, its standards become THE standard.

The real point is that they are arbitrary.

BTW, I don't mind being called non-black, non-Hispanic, non-Asian, non-female. Wouldn't bother me in the least.

@bongani It's arbitrary, like Unseen says. It just happens that cultures in the northern hemisphere above the tropics are white and have made most of the cultural rules, by default. It's been pretty insensitive to other cultures. I'll bet a hard-core Texan would be content not to have to know anything at all about other states, much less other countries and cultures. (Tongue-in-cheek, partly.)

Another arbitrary, nonsense, default rule is that Obama is called "black", even though he's half-white. These labels weren't planned with the rest of the world in mind. (And speaking of "Americans", it's usually used while completely ignoring South Americans.)

I have a fear of becoming phobic. Does that make me phobic?

Yep, you now can call yourself a phobophobic; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobophobia  ^^

I am still overwhelmed by heights! High bridges, Top of roofs, last floors on Skyscrapers, thse are no no no's to me!

I just have to watch a video like this and my hands start sweating. 

Man dives 35 ft into inflatable kiddie pool with 12" of water:

Why are they cheering?

Large pores, as those of a skin disease.
Too many eyes also. Like if you were taking a shower and ran your hand through your hair to discover another eyeball on your scalp.
Also sea creatures of a certain depth-- at some point, we're so evolutionarily removed, we have to view them as horrific.

Really though it's pores and eyes. They're the only things I know of that make my skin crawl and my hair stand.

Not grizzly bears or ghosts. I think I could punch them in the face.

Large pores as those of a skin disease? Photo please...

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service