I want to talk about phobias. I suppose one could be afraid of just about anything.

According to the NIMH (source: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/1SPEC_ADULT.shtml) ....

Phobias are said to be marked and persistent fear and avoidance of a specific object or situation.

I found this list of phobias: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias

Do you have any phobias?

Have you ever gotten treatment for a phobia?

How do you know the difference between a phobia and a rational fear of something?

I have an irrational fear of men and I'm trying to work through it....but I hope the discussion can help anyone with a phobia open up. I hope we can laugh a little too....I remember so many little things I've been "afraid" of only to laugh at myself later. That ever happen to you? Or is it just me? Lol.....

Oh yah, can phobias be HEALTHY? Why did phobias evolve?

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have cockroach phobia ... they can survive a nuclear holocaust as if they are not scary enough.

Scientists say only two things would survive a global nuclear holocaust; cockroaches and Microsoft.

Hahaha...I'm betting those scientists are holding stock in Microsoft, praying to doG it gets back to the price they bought at. :D

I have a fear of people with brown eyes i never understood why maybe because im over sensitive to emotions and feelings.

I also have a fear of blood if i see it on tv im okay if i see it irl and its to much ill get dizzy and may even pass out. no i havent been treated for it i havent even asked and when i do people take it as just no big deal when it comes to the blood.

I don't stay away from people with brown eyes i meant some nice people with them.

I just tend to not look them in the eyes as much as others but even with others i all ready struggle with eye contact so if its brown eyes it just adds more of a struggle. but again no problems i agree many with brown eyes are nice people.

Eye contact is a major form of body language in several species. I wonder if you're more aware of people's eye color at a distance? (And I imagine "eye contact" with anyone on TV or in a photo is not uncomfortable?) Even as an old man, I'm still dealing with eye contact issues, and I think I tend to look pretty unfriendly.

Btw, are your eyes blue? (I'm just guessing.)

Yes my eyes are blue and eye contact anywhere i don't like even on tv i look at the direction that it isn't in but still at the things i need to or i quickly look and look away. 

Eye contact used to be uncomfortable for me. I made myself do it until it became something I don't even think about.

I definitely missed out on learning the proper timing of friendly/neutral eye contact because I avoided it for so long. It's funny, now that I've lost my fear of looking people in the eye, I over do it. I have to remind myself to break eye contact when I see people looking away. 

My nephew passes out if he sees his own blood.  Any other blood doesn't phase him.

Pretty much all non-whites have brown eyes, you racist!

@Unseen, are you non-black? why human with pale skins are not known as non-black? why the pale skin colour is a point of reference?

bongani, I can see your point, but not everyone who isn't white is black. 

RSS

Forum

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 4 hours ago. 75 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 7 hours ago. 22 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas 7 hours ago. 25 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 7 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service