So read a post today that makes me furious. I will post link. fair warning its not pretty nor is it something for tender hearted people. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/peta-kills-puppies-...

What are your views on animal rights groups and their responsibility to life and health of animals? What do you think should be done in regards to such things? 

Tags: animals, corporate, humanity, killing, lies, rights, senseless

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've known about this for some time.  Even as a vegetarian I never trusted Peta, they are hypocrites of the highest order.  They really have to answer for this

So many viewpoints.  When I posted this i was thinking about how to raise awareness that there are groups out there that say they protect animals then proceed to harm them. Peta is one of the more obvious ones. For record i do recognize that i am not a vegetarian tried it not for me. I spent time on a farm and I have hunted. I also own pets. I view them as  my companions. Which means I am required to care for them completely. I expect nothing from them but for them to be themselves. 

I personally believe though if you spend your time defending animals. That you have to acknowledge their right to live free from needless death. I advocate spaying and neutering to keep population down, not senseless killing. When I hunt I use all of the animal so I do not waste the life it surrendered. I would say all life matters, but that is not an absolute truth for me. There are those people I question why they still exist and Darwin hasn't weeded them out. 

These are just my thoughts on it and current comments.

When I posted this i was thinking about how to raise awareness that there are groups out there that say they protect animals then proceed to harm them. Peta is one of the more obvious ones.

True, very true.

I brought this up with a PETA supporter at work, and her attitude was basically that it was all a pack of lies.

Give her this link.

I gave her a similar one at the time.  Made no difference.

While, on the one hand, I understand the logic behind the nearly universal spaying of cats not actually used for breeding (and especially feral cats), I had my cat Squeaky spayed with great reluctance. In my mind, I pictured her suckling a small clutch of kittens and realized I was taking that stage of her life away from her forever, based on a human policy. 

Are pets no more than animate plush toys?

I understand the reluctance. Not an easy choice. my fiancee argues needs of the many versus needs of the few. i arguement would be it does medically increase the life of the cat. Pets in my view are companions. people who think of pets as something that"s cute and fun but forget that they are responsible for a life tend to piss me off. I have chinchillas. they are listed as a exotic pet. I researched for two years to make sure I could properly take care of their needs. They live 20 years. That's more of a long term commitment than most relationships these days.When i go out of town I have a friend come to babysit them. I have cameras set up so i can make sure they are okay even 900 miles away from how. I'm better about their vet visits than me going to a dr. So no animals aren't animate plush toys.

And yet, I chose that Squeaky, to be my companion, does not really get to be a cat. Cannot experience motherhood, cannot hunt, cannot choose where to go and when. Cannot be free.

She is, in a sense, my slave. A well cared-for "house nigger," if you will. I love her, but I have no illusions.

Would your chinchillas, given a choice, rather be in a cage in your home or running around freely on a rocky mountainside in Peru? If you took them there and opened the cage door, would they stay in the cage, go out and then come back, or go forever?

don't take this wrong way this seems one of those ethics versus moral discussions my fiance and i get into where there is no truly right answers. I would like to believe given mental capacity to reason for themselves my chins would chose to stay. that is a hope not logic. Their choice would probably to live in wild.yet i know in the wild mine wouldn't stand a chance. They have lived in homes their entire lives.  So they would not know how to find food nor what predators there are out there. I believe they would if survived come back to known safety.

okay unseen here's a question for you. If you were say raised as a domestic pet all your life such as most house pets are. Then given a chance of freedom not knowing where to find food, shelter or what dangers exist. Would you chose life you knew or freedom? 

Well, why presume that they have become accustomed to being pets first. Assume instead they have grown up wild and THEN given the choice?

I was referring to ones that I currently have. A wild chinchilla would be very hard to keep alive they can literally die from being stressed out. The wild chinchilla are vastly different than the domesticated ones. Genetic mutations have occurred so that the domestic and the wild ones are very different.

@Unseen,

"...realized I was taking that stage of her life away from her..."

Question;

If an animal is keep as a pet is not it's entire natural life taken from it?

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 12 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 48 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 14 hours ago. 14 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service