I began wondering recently what the demographic of "personality types" exist within the Atheist community...again, I haven't been Atheist very long and I do not have any friends who are Atheist except on this forum. 

There was some discussion within the Female and Atheist discussion surrounding the "geeky type" and this got me to wondering...are we geeks? I wouldn't classify myself as that type. I'm a cross between a home girl and a hippie....I'm sure there are many other kinds of "personalities" represented here. So I am curious. What is your personality profile?

Views: 587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I fall under the INTP group.

My myers-briggs changed over time. Used to be sensing back in high school and the judging and perceiving switched back and forth so much i don't even know what the latest was.  Also took it once while feeling plucky and once while sleepy...guess what happened  to the e/i score... don't put too much stock in tests that the user can manipulate. Had to take one for an interview, so i totally skewed my score to up my hire-ability. What? I know two wrongs don't make it right but i was so PO'd they wanted to get THAT up in my business.

It seems very intrusive.  You'd want to turn the tables on them. 

I am an INFP, so "hippie" would describe me. I am also a geek.

Had a battery-of-the-month club card from Radio Shack when I was growing up. That about sums it up.

In each personality type listed in the 16 types I can find something I identify with. 

However, I think I lean mainly towards INTP

Not all geeks per se, but a lot of very smart people. One can pick the personality types by their answers. I am not a geek, wish I was. My partner is part hippie, part nerd. We come in all different shades, every type of personality is here, with many diverse opinions on everything. I am a feminist, which, apparently, these days, is a bad, bad word, I am just for equality, without fear. Being Australian, I don't know what home girl is. INFP

Not all geeks per se, but a lot of very smart, articulate people on this site. One can pick the personality types by their answers. I am not a geek, wish I was. My partner is part hippie, part nerd. We come in all different shades, every type of personality is here, with many diverse opinions on everything. I am a feminist, which, apparently, these days, is a bad, bad word, I am just for equality, without fear. Being Australian, I don't know what home girl is. INFP, and I think most people have multiple personalities, depending on the situation.

I'm not hip, but my estimation is that home girl means down to earth...like relaxed and genuine. There is always urbandictionary.com.

I think I'd label myself as a "Logical-Hippie".

On one hand, I love science. I care about the truth about the world around me, whether it's nice and comforting or not so nice and comforting. I love being able to think for myself and come to rational conclusions on my own.

But on the other hand, I'm definitely all about "Love and Peace" "Make Love and Not War". I hate war and violence of any kind, and I hate it when people use their differences (cultural differences, physical features, ancestry, etc) to try to seperate themselves and each other. I believe in rights for women as well as for the LGBT community. I hate the smell of marijuana but I don't care if other people use it. . .as long as I don't have to smell it or use it  LOL

I think some atheists may be considered "geeky" by the fact that a lot of us seem eager to reach out and become englightened about the world around us, whether it be through reading books, looking up information, or talking to people with different ideas and opinons, etc. Not to mention, I think a lot of science-y people just happen to be atheists as well ^_^ I personally think that atheists do not run from things that we do not understand, and I think that's what makes us look "geeky or nerdy" and sets us apart from theists.

The theists and religious people I'm close to seem to be afraid of branching out of their "comfort zone" and drawing their own conclusions about the world around them. If their religion or beliefs don't condone it, they stay away from it, and it definitely holds them back. Like for example, I noticed that lots of atheists attempt to try and learn about different world religions where as religious people in general don't seem to have any interest in learning about any religion besides their own. It almost seems like they're afraid of knowledge, plain as that.

Since "geeks and nerds" are usually associated with intelligence, then I'd have to say that yes, to a degree, atheists are geeks ^_^

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service