I realise this study is pretty old so a lot of people would have heard of it, but I just thought it was interesting enough to post up here. I've only just found out about it on this documentary. 

Cool huh!

Tags: brain, god, helmet, persinger

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm. I am skeptical about this. However, I think the helmet might cause a feeling of relaxation. Electromagnetic induction transforms the electromagnetic field of the helmet into electrical signals into the brain, messing it up a little. With some control you can aim certain spots of the brain to relax it.

Also, Dawkins got relaxed by this but because he wasn't a believer he didn't associate the experience with god. Please point us with the Swedish Psychologist experiment so we can validate it. If not, Persinger's result is valid.

Persinger's response to the Swedish experiment is here:

http://www.innerworlds.50megs.com/The_God_Helmet_Debate.htm

There's always to two sides to a story.

Ah well thanks for enlightening me everyone. It seemed like a great study but the previous participants weren't shown on the documentary, only Richard Dawkins. I thought it might be a bit suspicious when it didn't work on him but I wanted to believe it... I'm ashamed to admit!
It does seem plausible, it would have to be a very well designed study to prove it either way. When you're dealing with studies in perception it must be monstrously hard to get clear data. I would love to see more research on this.

When meditating there is a release of endorphins in the brain that would explain the feelings that people have.

It can also be produced with music. I could see where there could be a possibility that Persinger's helmet would trigger that same release of endorphins.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Gary Clouse 21 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 29 minutes ago. 2 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 201 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 5 hours ago. 114 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service