Pasafarian wins right to be photographed with strainer on head.

OK,in Austria, after a 3 year struggle to prove his sanity a pastafarian won the right to be photographed for his drivers license with a spaghetti strainer on his head as part of his religion.

So it took him 3 years to convince people believing in the FSM wasn't insanity? But burning bushes and women turning into pillars of salt is OK to believe in without psychological examination?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8635624/Pas...

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, but I think this is dumb.

Firstly, no one should be able to wear anything on their heads for the purpose of an identification photograph.

Secondly, I have a hard time believing he was really, truly offended that he couldn't do this. Sounds more like he went out of his way to bring a religious debate into an arena where it's never been present before (at least to my knowledge). I'd admonish anyone for this - even an atheist. Our efforts, and those of the government, are better spent elsewhere. Especially when we're talking about a scale of THREE YEARS.

So I think he's taking advantage of a good thing for all the wrong reasons.
I agree that head-ware in an identification photo is not the best idea, but as seen in the picture it doesn't obscure any identifying marks.

I don't think it's dumb at all. He either truly believes in the FSM (unlikely) or he was making a point via reductio ad absurdum (more likely). If one irrational belief MUST be accepted, then they all must. Could his efforts be better spent? Probably, but we all do our part. If he made even one person, be it a judge, clerk, or the poor person at the office when this all started, rethink what they believe and why, then good on him. No one spends three years dealing with the DMV for mere whimsy.
Maybe if he spent that time fighting against the right for people of other religions to wear headwear on an ID photo, I'd agree. But this underhanded nonsense is only taking the law in the WRONG direction. And for what? Because a fake belief wasn't honored?
It's not obscuring anything and most people would probably think he's a Jew or Muslim. You can hardly tell that it's a sieve
Whether or not it obscures anything isn't really the point of him wearing it.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service