I once in a debate with my catholic friend. He used pascal wager argument and bid on jesus but then i told him its useless, because:

- There are many gods across all religions, not just one god, christian god.

- We cannot worship all gods because there at least 2 gods which says "Worship just me or burn" (christian & islam)

But then he told me all other gods is less likely to be true than christian's god because:

- On muslim, those who are in heaven will enjoy unlimited sex with 72 virgins with erection that lasts indefinitely. "That just so wrong their god must be a joke", he says.

- On buddhism, the buddha can see the future and the past while meditating.

There is no human can see the future nor past. If there is one, then that must be a work of satan, because the same thing happened when jesus tempted by satan. That time jesus gone blank-minded, a similar state to meditation, so he is implying that the buddha can see future and past because he is under the "touch" of satan.

- On Hinduism, they worship many gods, even animals. "Its ridiculous" he says.

- Therefore, even though there are little or no evidence, we should "Pascal's Wager" on christian god, jesus because other god is false.

Is what he says correct? Did i just get owned by Pascal's Wager? How to debunk this argument?

Thank you.

Tags: pascal, wager

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The "less likely than my god" argument is stupid on the face of it.  If the Christian god is so improbable as to be laughable, and furthermore there is no evidence at all that the Christian god exists, why does it matter if your Christian friend thinks other gods are even less probable?

There are some great resources for debunking the standard theist arguments.  Look at Iron Chariots (ironchariots.org).  It's got a very thorough treatment.

Craig

There's a more simple answer to pascals wager from Hitchins. If (for arguments sake) I am wrong, & the biblical god is real, I would like to think he would appreciate my honesty!  ;-) 

1) Just make him sit down and watch some Youtube George Carlin anti-religion rants, and if he thinks Christianity isn't ridiculous (trinity? WTF does that mean?...and let's not even get into Jesus casting demons into pigs and driving them over a cliff!).

2) As ridiculous as other religions may appear, if the nonsensical beliefs of Christianity have to be taken seriously, so do Islam, Zoroastrianism and the rest. How does one choose which religion's wager to accept?

3) I say, "There's an swordsman outside the door who will come in on my order and hack you to pieces you if you don't sign over all your money to me. So, you can doubt there's a man out there and take your chances or you can sign over your money and be safe." Are you ready to give me the money?

Why a swordsman?

Yeah, swords are expensive.

Yeah and a man came back from the dead, ZOMBIE JESUS.  That's ridiculous.  So I guess your friends an atheist.

Also if you are just believing to be safe than you don't really believe. Wouldn't God know?

No, because now he is opinion-ating everything to suit his purpose. He is being irrational and apologetic. You can just as easily throw the Bible in there like he did with Buddhism and Islam and use it against him. Just open the Bible to a random page, stick your finger on a random spot, and 9 out 10 says you found golden bullshit. 

My attempt at creating a table based on debunking Pascals wager.Let me know what you all think of this, if I need to add, delete, or edit something. Figured I'd give it a shot.

It's ok, but how can one not believe in no God?.. semantically speaking:  "I don't believe in no god" is a nonsense statement.  So instead of "There is" and "There is no", it might be wiser to insert "The God Concept?" in the table. But for me, the concept of God does not deserve a "There is" or a "There is not"  as it is designed to be forever beyond our comprehension. It is not entitled to an inference. 

That's not what the chart is saying.  The left-hand column labels the individuals belief (believe in God/ do not believe in God), and the top row is labeling actuality (there is a god in reality/ there is not a god in reality).  

That said, the columns seem to be misaligned.

Hahahaha!!! Yep. Thanks Kris.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Ari E. S. 2 hours ago. 67 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service