Is the answer to the age-old question found in faith, science or both - and what do we teach our children?

Tags: kids

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
Frederick Douglass

i taught mine to question everything and assume nothing!

i taught them others deserve as much respect as you do, and that no one is any better than anyone else.

simple, and it seems to have worked...

Don't teach them what to think, teach them how to think.

I have been going through this with my daughter lately. She is 7 and I have just withdrawn her from RE classes at school because they are going to be taught by a vicar who will present Christianity as true. I told the school we are not Christian but in the UK they have to have 15 minutes communal Christian worship a day and RE has to be Christian. I did not exercise my right to exclude her from these because she would miss all the school plays and house points etc. I have withdrawn her now after they told her that God turned rivers into blood and killed all the first born children - in a good way, of course.

Anyway, what I find works really well is to give her little lessons on all sorts of religions and present none of them as fact and give her lessons on evolution which is fact. By showing her how many religions there are and how many strange things they believe she is coming to the conclusion that none of them are right. I am pleased about this. I present them respectfully but say 'The Christians believe this while the Hindus believe that.' and the message she is getting is variety and choice - no fact. She likes the Christmas story and also the concepts of Karma and reincarnation but does not believe anything implicitly.  We tell some stories from each culture which she likes but she does not see Christ as any more likely to be real than Thor and Odin and sees them all as stories.  I think this is positive - I'm not vetoing religion and making it interesting or telling her not to believe but the result of all this information is lack of belief.

I teach my children to think on their own and arm them with knowledge based on facts and tangible evidence.

RSS

Forum

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 19 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 47 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service