I am curious if others feel the same way as me, but when someone tells me that I have "God given talent" or I was "blessed by God" I get a little offended. Not to the point that I would yell at someone, but that I would tell them that I actually worked my butt off to get where I am.
I don't like having my success undermined by God. What are your thoughts?

Tags: Atheism, Blessed, God, Religion, Success

Views: 610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Christians +1

Atheists 0

@ J Mc

the only one that i find difficult to tolerate is Gods Will.

Do people only say that out of anxiety and how would I respond to that other than  ... "now just hang on a minute!*!#

Here's an idea for you: when people say "God given talent" or "blessed by God" think Higgs Boson ("god particle"), thus giving such expressions a new interpretation with fresh coloring.  Just a thought.

The bigger issue in my mind is that they never give God credit for the things that go wrong. That's always their shortcomings. You can't have it both ways. If God gets the credit, he gets the blame. A few years ago, I recieved a pretty significant promotion at work. One of my Christian friends went on to tell me that God had done it. I politely said that I had done it with all the hard work that had earned this promotion. Then I went on to say that I never blamed God for the bad things that happened in my life, so he wasn't getting credit for the good things.

I think about that one too. Carlin said it best, "And what can we do to silence these Christian athletes who thank Jesus whenever they win, never mention his name when they lose? Not a word. You never hear them say "Jesus made me drop the ball." "The good lord tripped me up behind the line of scrimmage." According to these guys Jesus is undefeated, meanwhile these assholes are in last place. Must be another one of those "miracles."

A lot of people will point to "God's Will" (I just wrote about this in my blog) when bad things happen. People would rather feel better with this mental masturbation than face facts. 

"mental masturbation"...I'll have to remember that one!  In fact, I am stealing it! :)

Lol please use it! The more the merrier :)

Do you really think people don't turn to God and religion when things go wrong?  Or don't blame Him when things go wrong?  

Do you really think people don't turn to God and religion when things go wrong?

I sometimes turn to god when I have severe diarrhea. Is that your best argument? "People turn to an all powerful skydaddy to hold their hands when they're at their weakest point and in desperate need of help"  ?

Or don't blame Him when things go wrong?

They never do. You know this as well as we do. Be a little honest.

I'm not sure how others have experienced this. I can only talk from my experience, Most christians I know praise god when things go well, and blame satan when it goes badly. I find them slightly confused when it comes to death. They all say different things and I think it is just easy for them to credit god or Satin when they can not explain what happend or can not wrap their minds around a brutal incadent such as death.

...and blame satin when it goes badly.

I know this is a mere typo, but I love the imagery.

My english is not all that good but I get it :) will take me the 24 hours if I have to do a spell check on everything

lolol

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Unseen 26 minutes ago. 14 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Virgil 53 minutes ago. 30 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 21 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 63 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service