<moderator note>
The author of this thread is no longer a member on the site. The discussion is not closed, but keep in mind you will not get a response from the OP should you choose to post.
</moderator note>

So I am new at all this. I am going through a phase where I am unsure if I am still a Christian or not. I don't believe in the bible but I believe in a higher power... I just so happen to stumble across this and was curios. I always thought that atheist were the ones who worships the devil and wore black and danced around at night casting spells on people. That is what I was taught. Boy was I wrong. I have been friends with an atheist for like 10 years and just found out LOL.

Anyways, I have 3 amazing children. They are not baptized because I want them to make that decision for themselves. Yes, it did throw a big rock in the water when I put my foot down on that. But they believe in God and Jesus. When asked how babies are made I told them God took a little of mommies heart and a little of daddies heart and made a baby and put it in my belly. When my nephew died 1 day shy of being 3 months I was asked, mommy why did he die? As hurt as I was I said well sometimes God needs baby angels. So every year we write messages Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, etc. on balloons and let them go in the sky so he can see them in Heaven.

Now that I am on the fence on if I am still a Christian or not, I have no idea what to do about my children. Do I pull them away from it all? We don't go to church because I don't believe I HAVE to go to a church to praise God. But how do I interfere with what my children believe? Should I just keep doing what i'm doing and let them decided when they get a little older or what? My whole family are Christians and God comes up a lot. My family stays out of religious discussions with me because I always have something to say to contradict what they are talking about.

Views: 1210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, Pope Beanie.  There is an automatic reflex throughout all of life to make things better and to become healthy.  This is a result of evolution.  It's bigger than all of us and we can tap into it if we know how - such as the example you gave: "Being tactful" along with prosocial behaviour in general. 

When people get high on Jesus, this is what they're getting high on. 

In other words, it's the crossover between science and religion. 

Unseen - "We're against religion here (including belief in a higher power), not Christianity specifically."  - what is this, the "we" club?  I'm not against those things. 

This is the situation. 

That's a good analogy, Belle. It is like relearning almost everything in a different light, when de-converting....

Umm guys, I don't think Savannah is a part of Think Atheist anymore because I can't find any records of her anywhere beside remnants of her discussions. :(

Sadly, Ari, I do believe you're right. 

She left the site without disclosing a reason. One could speculate, but that's her choice and her business. Some stay; some don't.

Yes, great test, just does nothing for me.

Hi Savannah,

Can I ask a question? Why don't you believe in the bible? What made you decide to give up on your faith?

As for Xianity as whole, I believe many walk away from it because it offers no answers, no explanations. I am willing to bet if you had worked up the courage to ask your former pastor some questions, they most likely condemned you for it, verbally whipping you back into the sheep pen.

after reading your testimony here it  appears you already have the making s of a seeker of truth. You are right to let your children choose for themselves.

And I agree with you about going to church. There are no answers there either. When people ask me what church I go to, and I tell them I don't they seem to get very offended, tell me I NEED to have fellowship and then are standoffish and act as if I have some sort of disease.

Why are you on the fence exactly?

Hi Savannah, Can I ask a question?

Graham, it seems that Savannah has departed and won't be responding to your question.

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 8 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 17 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service