So we all know people use religion as a crutch, everyone needs something to help keep them upright in life at some point or another..... But when things are really bad for you - say the person you love is dying.... Would you ever find yourself, an atheist, down on your knees praying for them to get better?

Views: 1340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NO!!!  Because it would be a waste of time better spent on doing something positive.  For an atheist, praying is the same thing as giving up.

Sure.. I've called on every thing that might help.    It is something to do when you've done everything else and still feel helpless.   I think positive thinking is more helpful than negative thinking..and if there's even a micron's chance of positive thoughts affecting the world then I'm certainly going to project those thoughts like a beacon from my brain.

I certainly enter pleas into the air for friends and loved ones who I can't help in any other way.  Its a way of showing my support and love for them to 'wish them to get better'.. to 'send positive energy their way'.. even 'prayers for their recovery'..even though my prayers aren't directed towards any god.

I have lost someone I love and no, I never prayed.  Part of it was that I knew he was going to die no matter what anybody did.  I did try to direct my thoughts and actions in a way that would be comforting to me.  I thought of him and his atheism and how he would not be suffering any more when he died.  

I have also the experience of seeing my child on a ventilator in the ICU.  I did not know what was going to happen.  Still I did not seek God.  I just simply don't believe there is one.  I tried to have the presence of mind to be able to let go of her if that's what happened.  It didn't, but I don't think my actions had anything to do with it.    

I have attempted over the years, to center myself,  'while in the storm'. But this has nothing to do with 'god'. I am only trying to find that next moment of strenght to continue, and keep my head linked to compassion and hope. Most bad experiences do not last, from my memory. Some things one must past through, power over the situation seems rather limited... 

No

No. Thus far I have been able to come to terms without prayer. It does not readily occur to me to pray in such situations.

I support the idea of prayer or hope as a meditative practice, but I do hold concerns that some use it as an attempt to evade reality altogether. It seems like that would be more devastating in the long run, but perhaps I just don't get it. Outside of the cases where people opt for prayer in place of taking their children in for proper medical treatment for curable conditions, it's not my place to tell other people how to cope.

Then too, there's always Chester --

I'm honestly sorry, Blaine, but at the same time, you know that if there's a joke in there, I gotta go for it --

Maybe you should have prayed to him, for him.

I hope she isn't expected to sit on the floor and beg for table scraps!

That CAN'T be an improvement!

I'LL be the judge of that! Mail me some --

Brad Pitt?

RSS

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 6 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service