So we all know people use religion as a crutch, everyone needs something to help keep them upright in life at some point or another..... But when things are really bad for you - say the person you love is dying.... Would you ever find yourself, an atheist, down on your knees praying for them to get better?

Views: 1307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

8 year old Tammy Belanger was abducted on her way to school in Exeter, New Hampshire 28 years ago. For all these years her mother has had to go to bed every night not knowing the whereabouts of her lovely daughter. One can only try to imagine the pain.

This past spring I had several dozen posters with her picture printed and gave them to the Ministerial Alliance of Whitney, Texas. I asked that they be distributed to all (about 40) of the churches in the area and have the pastors ask their congregations to ask God to reveal her whereabouts. God is omniscient, God knows everything. Today, on the 28th anniversary of her abduction, she is still missing. A local pastors explanation; God works in mysterious ways. I have come to the conclusion that God only answers prayers for two kinds of people; winners and survivors.

RE: "God works in mysterious ways."

I'm sure that's what the Republican Party is mulling over right now, along with the Religious Right. Maybe they need to realize that, "No way in hell!" is also an answer.

This causes me to wonder:

Was Tammy's mother such a nice person? That 'God The Omniscient!' thought it was a good idea for Tammy to be abducted by a very bad child abuser, for her own good?

That Tammy, during a very early moment of extream youthful clarity, ran away from home to join the Circus, or some religious cult that has love bombed her into a useful member of society?

Or that prayer being a useful, but blunt instrument, has not been informed by 'God the Omniscient!' of the where-a-bouts of now a 36 year old woman. Alive or dead. Sadly not all tools can cut the mustard, like a well trained mind. I expect they need to look for a 36 year old woman, not an 8 year old kid.   

no, im not using something thats not there as a crutch. its a complete and total waste of time. instead of praying to some god to heal them, (come on. like thats gonna happen) id rather do something useful and raise money to get them treated. put faith in something that works not something thats wishy washy

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand, clasped in prayer."

thats bull. god isnt real. im not wasting my time praying to an imaginary friend

No. I actually get more comfort now knowing there is no lunatic god than I did when I believed there probably was one. There is no fixer in the sky who can make a loved one better. To beg a god to fix a problem he obviously knew was coming and yet allowed to happen is ridiculous. I don't think people understand what it means to pray to a god, say, of an Abrahamic bent.

Best to take comfort in friends, family and your own independent intelligence.  Or if you insist on praying, then do it to a milk-jug... it will give the same results.  

No.

Not at all. In times like that you have to trust in the doctors doing their job. It's nonsense to even think like that. If others are doing it, it's probably not a good time to tell them that. You can hope but shit happens and death is inevitable, no matter how painful it may be. 

RSS

Forum

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 38 minutes ago. 7 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 55 minutes ago. 75 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 3 hours ago. 22 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas 3 hours ago. 25 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service