So we all know people use religion as a crutch, everyone needs something to help keep them upright in life at some point or another..... But when things are really bad for you - say the person you love is dying.... Would you ever find yourself, an atheist, down on your knees praying for them to get better?

Views: 1260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If my father, on his death bed asks me to pray, I will make the appearance of praying. Why would I want to leave the man I love the most with disappointment in his last moments? There are times to be right and times to be generous and good.

It's a matter of perspective. My father's expectation is that I am true to myself and not restricted to his beliefs. That's how my family is. It's an insult to the way we live to betray that. If the situation was reversed, and I was dying and he wanted to pray, the same would hold true. It would pain me less that he wanted to pray than it would that he would feel the need to conceal his beliefs and convictions to appease me. Really, in this inverse scenario, I'm the one who gets off easy. I'll be dead and done soon; he's gotta live with the aftermath.

My father doesn't pray or believe in God, mind you, but we could find analogues, I'm sure.

This falls under the assumption that he is of sober mind at the time.

I don't think there's a real analog to a God who will be waiting to reward you after you pass on.

I meant an analogue to acts of placation.

Remember the line from the Atheist Christmas Carol I posted? "It's better to be loved than to make a point."

What kind of Humanist would one be, if they denied their own father a dying wish? If  it made you feel any better, I suppose you could always cross your fingers behind your back.

I'm going to be needing one of those some day, and it's going to be for a cheeseburger.

The kind thing would be to appear to pray, and lie to him and tell him you did. If he believes people are praying for him, it might help him more than actual prayer does.

Wasn't there a study that implied people that were told people were praying for them (when they weren't) had better outcomes then people that were actually prayed for but never told?

If there is power in prayer that is pretty much the beginning and the end of it, self-fulfillachondria?

I'm not sure about the study personally, but there was an episode of "House" in which someone said there was, and we all know that if it's on TV, it has to be true.

actually there was a study that showed that people who knew people were praying for them did worse...    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060403133554.htm

That's OK. I made up self-fulfillachondria and it sounded pretty good, no?

I would ask to borrow it --

Once I used a local minister as a reference. It came to my attention that every time someone called for a reference, the minister used it as an opportunity for soul saving, putting me in a rather bad light. Sadly, I see this as yet one more brick in the wall....;p)...

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by kris feenstra 2 hours ago. 156 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.