Hi All,

I allow my mind to wander sometimes (particularly on the bus) and somehow wound up thinking about incest. I get that it's wrong, The thought of being sexual with my brother is definitely not appealing, but I don't get why.

What are some objections to incest?

The two I can think of is genetic diversity is compromised in cases of reproduction from incest, and psychologically it may not be healthy.

The genetics argument is essentially invalid due to the availability of contraception, abortions, and the fact that there are over 7 billion people on the planet.

The psychology argument would be valid if shown to be true, although even then it should be treated as a psychological problem, not a criminal one.

Tags: incest, objections

Views: 1133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Didn't you kind of answer your own question here? Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that it's a result of Darwinian Natural Selection? Instincts didn't get there by magic, right?

Ok, but why make it illegal? Just because the instincts of the majority tell them it is wrong, does that mean it should be illegal?

I love Taboo topics. Normally I'd comment but...Wheres the popcorn?

Me too, you know you can comment AND read everyone elses comments?

The other concern is the potential for relationships to be formed out of abuse.

This is something I had not considered. There is typically a power imbalance between close family relations. In the same way a teacher has power over a student.

I think my biggest objection to incest is that I don't find my father attractive at all.

haha

My greatest objection would have to be that my family's ugly, with a capital UG --

is this true of all them my friend?

All except me, of course --

I agree of course :)

That backs up my theory that alcohol was invented by two ugly cousins.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

It's all Greek to me

Posted by Simon Mathews on April 15, 2015 at 4:14am 18 Comments

Free at last

Posted by Belle Rose on April 15, 2015 at 1:00am 3 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service