Now that the Supreme Court has ruled (some will say a victory for the 1st Amendment), what can we do to silence this hateful church?

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The best thing to do is stop giving them so much attention. That is what they want. They really think that it is their mission to tell America that God is going to fuck our shit up. They think they are profits so the more news coverage and interviews they get the better. Everyone needs to realize that when you go protest against them or even just blog about them, WBC is winning. So I say everybody give them one last finger goodbye and walk away.
I agree 100%
The attention the media and people give them is what fuels them. They have a right to say what they want, but not at a private funeral. States are taking a stand and banning protests in a certain radius for a certain amount of time before it starts to a certain amount of time after, so they either have to wait until everyone is gone to picket or picket so far away no one at the funeral can see. If everyone ignored them they would either shut up or, more likely, become so extreme they violate the law to be heard.
and if they violate the law, they go to jail and get shut down...I don't see the problem.
I know what would happen to them if they should disrespect to any of my family. No worries there.
It appears to be the consensus that ignoring WBC is the most prudent coarse.  I like the idea that states are taking a stand!  It seems that the country is equally upset by their antics and that gives me some comfort.
Wow, nice example of technology making Earth a nice place for humans. Big Brother gets stronger and stronger :(

Why silence them?  They do more to awaken people to the insanity of fundy literalism and the depths it can go to then any type of rational argument.

The WBC is the answer to the silence and tolerance of the religious liberal.  If they don't want them representing the faithful...then it is up to THEM to silence their own.

If they don't take steps to distance themselves from the WBC then they have only themselves to blame for the negative associations the rest of us make.  It is their silence on the subject that speaks the LOUDEST.

So I say.....give the wacko WBC megaphones and their own show on the discovery channel... put it on right after 19 and counting..(another wacko religious family)

I couldn't agree more (although I'm late on this convo). What's so upsetting is who they're targeting, less than what they're saying. Funerals should be protected from picketers! There are more appropriate places to spew bile or take up an issue.
Kris and Cara clearly state what prompted my original question, thanks!  It is the pointed cruelty that I would hope to extinguish.

Join the others who protest against WBC or better yet it would work best if everyone ignored them.

They want attention so don't give it to them.

They're a cult once Fred is dead they'll either splinter or diminish.

What happened to the reasoning of Chaplinsky v New Hampshire?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaplinsky_v._New_Hampshire

The Court, in a unanimous decision, upheld the arrest. Writing the decision for the Court, Justice Frank Murphy advanced a “two-tier theory” of the First Amendment. Certain “well‐defined and narrowly limited” categories of speech fall outside the bounds of constitutional protection. Thus, “the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous,” and (in this case) insulting or “fighting” words neither contributed to the expression of ideas nor possessed any “social value” in the search for truth.[2]

Murphy wrote:

There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

RSS

Forum

Gideons International

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 51 minutes ago. 2 Replies

Draw Muhhamed day was yesterday Bring out your drawings

Started by ThyPlagueDoctor in Small Talk. Last reply by ThyPlagueDoctor 8 hours ago. 4 Replies

Bible Belt Promiscuity

Started by Dante in Advice. Last reply by Ed 41 minutes ago. 10 Replies

am i the only athiest that believes in spirits

Started by Katie Patterson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 22 hours ago. 32 Replies

Are we in the (non-biblical) end times?

Started by mark thoma in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 16 hours ago. 23 Replies

Events

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service