Now that the Supreme Court has ruled (some will say a victory for the 1st Amendment), what can we do to silence this hateful church?

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I should also say that I would probably not counter-protest with them at ANY funeral.  That is repulsive to me.  But if they put themselves outside any college, concert hall, or city office in our vicinity -- I think it is one of the most useful, inexpensive, cause-worthy activities we can participate in. 

The best thing to do is stop giving them so much attention. That is what they want. They really think that it is their mission to tell America that God is going to fuck our shit up. They think they are profits so the more news coverage and interviews they get the better. Everyone needs to realize that when you go protest against them or even just blog about them, WBC is winning. So I say everybody give them one last finger goodbye and walk away.
I agree 100%
The attention the media and people give them is what fuels them. They have a right to say what they want, but not at a private funeral. States are taking a stand and banning protests in a certain radius for a certain amount of time before it starts to a certain amount of time after, so they either have to wait until everyone is gone to picket or picket so far away no one at the funeral can see. If everyone ignored them they would either shut up or, more likely, become so extreme they violate the law to be heard.
and if they violate the law, they go to jail and get shut down...I don't see the problem.
I know what would happen to them if they should disrespect to any of my family. No worries there.
It appears to be the consensus that ignoring WBC is the most prudent coarse.  I like the idea that states are taking a stand!  It seems that the country is equally upset by their antics and that gives me some comfort.
Wow, nice example of technology making Earth a nice place for humans. Big Brother gets stronger and stronger :(

Why silence them?  They do more to awaken people to the insanity of fundy literalism and the depths it can go to then any type of rational argument.

The WBC is the answer to the silence and tolerance of the religious liberal.  If they don't want them representing the faithful...then it is up to THEM to silence their own.

If they don't take steps to distance themselves from the WBC then they have only themselves to blame for the negative associations the rest of us make.  It is their silence on the subject that speaks the LOUDEST.

So I say.....give the wacko WBC megaphones and their own show on the discovery channel... put it on right after 19 and counting..(another wacko religious family)

"Why silence them?"

Because they are directly targeting and harassing people who are already experiencing intense emotional pain.  I don't think I'm alone in wanting far less to silence the WBC and far more to protect grieving families.  

It's not the WBC's message I would hope for the law to restrict; it is the WBC's actions under extremely specific circumstances that provide no tangible impediment to them delivering their message.

I couldn't agree more (although I'm late on this convo). What's so upsetting is who they're targeting, less than what they're saying. Funerals should be protected from picketers! There are more appropriate places to spew bile or take up an issue.
Kris and Cara clearly state what prompted my original question, thanks!  It is the pointed cruelty that I would hope to extinguish.

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service