I'm debating a strong evangelical at work, and I've got him pinned to his strongest reason for belief: that there would be no purpose to his life without god. Of course I know that isn't true, but I want to respond to this thoughtfully. How would you respond to the statement there is no purpose without God?

Tags: meaning, purpose, value

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

isn't it possible that faith can fuel both a persons personal drive, and sense of purpose.

It is not possible if it depends entirely on an external source à la 'there is no purpose without God'. Simple.
It's great, but I don't think this guy could follow it :)
Finally things are moving forward
Bill, I wrote a blog about this that was well received here on TA. I get tired of the same question. If any of it is useful, steal away. Even the useless life collage.
Thanks Gaytor. I actually did a search on purpose, but didn't find what I was looking for. I figured it was already there and I just didn't pose the question well. Obviously, TA members still have more to contribute to this subject. Thanks all!
Absolutely. We are ever growing in numbers and diversity.
"Obviously, TA members still have more to contribute to this subject."

To the best of my knowledge, it's pretty tough to shut up an atheist. Opinionated lot, they are.
Good to know. Incidentally, I want neither to pray, nor for you to shut up.
Yes, there is no fixed inehent purpose, get over it! :D
Make your own in an existentialist way. (shamelessly)
Yes, the existence of God precludes freedom. I don't think I could explain this to my friend though.
And how exactly the existance of a God help him finding a purpose..was he born to pray andd go to church?? is that it??

I remember a quote by Einestein that says the only meaning and purpose of our life is to make those around us happy.

He said exactly " Strange is our situation here on Earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men - above all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends"
Wow, that's no debate card to pull at all. The mere statement is a surrender.
If he has arrived at that sad excuse for his belief, then he admits plainly that God is a creation, a solution --only to appease a question mankind has always had, and nothing more. His next step is to understand that life is full of unanswerable questions -- we're a dot on the map, he probably hasn't got a mind big enough to imagine how small we are, and how small our silly sentiments and ideas of gods are... I'd ask how he can possibly think belief is justifiable by the idea than mankind needs to, or possibly could know everything. We can't, and it's a total embarrassment, but common human "thing," to just make shit up as we go to calm and reassure everyone. We make our own purposes, we arrived by chance, by pure, unbiased, evidential evolution, no matter what legends we've written since our debut, and now that we are here, there are tons of purposes to undertake. Maybe he could start with the business of saving Earth, since our ancestors left us not only an irreversible situation of religion and all its burdens and fights, but a situation of having unknowingly started killing our own one true nonhuman parent, the planet.
Having some huge personal purpose... seems pretty damn petty to me, petty like a lot of their "God's" wishes and demands of us.

RSS

Blog Posts

The Void of Silence

Posted by Carol Foley on July 31, 2014 at 11:02pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service