,,,,, catchy title ahe! , any way back to the real topic ,i have been an atheist since the age of reasoning (when i was 12) , I've always kept it to my self never joined any groups ,but lately I've joined a couple of forums and face book's , what i have noticed is i am ashamed of calling my self an atheist ,i have noticed that all of these people are only enjoying bashing religious beliefs ,"holy" books ,creeds and religious people (not that i don't enjoy bashing them) , but the issue in hand is that all of these people don't really understand atheism , i had a chat with a lot of them non of them read or know any thing about existentialism (and the few who now are either miss-quoting Friedrich Nietzsche's quotes or even mispronouncing the name !).
but any way back to the point ,when i read see these neo-atheist guys they just seem to me like an atheist version of a Spanish inquisitor ,non of them really understand the true enslaving power of religion , the danger of human divinity , the true power of religious brain washing ; non of them ever read Thus spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche , non of them ever read the Existentialism and Humanism Lecture by Jean-Paul Sartre , non of them ever read Alamut by Vladamir Bartol , non of them ever read the Holy and the Holy Grail , non of them read the satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie , non of them ever read the Devils of Loudun by Aldus Huxly ,non of them ever read Atheist Manifesto by Michel Onfray,,,, (Wow! that's a long list , but its enough to make a point ).

so is it just me ?

Tags: a, neo-atheism, question

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If that's the case, you should type slower when drunk... for safety's sake of course. Wouldn't want to cause any train wrecks.
Well, first I would like to all of you for taking the time reading and participating in this subject.

before I start I would like to explain my point of view regarding atheism ,I believe an atheist individual is a logical individual ,individual who refused the enslavement of the invisible man in the sky ,an individual who's logic refused the bronze age laws ,and I truly believe that religion is a detrimental for the progress of humanity ,thus I believe that atheism is the solution ,the new Renaissance that crush all of these shackles, I believe that atheism will lead the world into the real evaluation, the evaluation of thought , the evaluation of art , philosophy ,the progress of humanity is in the hand of atheism .

and yes I do feel for those who have suffered from religion ,I know how you feel ;after all I live in a country where every word you say is censored and adjusted , where free thought is considered heresy ,but in other hand you should face this injustice not by emotions ,but by logic ,read the "Holy" scriptures , rather than burning them , so you can understand the mistakes and help preventing them ,face the blind folded people with logic ,rather than insulting them personally ,for they are not as Fortunate as you ,their logic is buried with all of this fear and hatred ;and remember human fear what they can’t understand .

These are my beliefs; I wish not to enforce them to any one, nor to have any personal gain from, as I said before I rarely speak my mind “where ignorance is a bliss Tis folly to be Wise”,my attentions where never meant to offend anybody ,my attention were to illuminate the people whom I feel some belonging to ,and yes my beliefs are not perfect nor absolute for as an atheist I distribute doubts not certainty .

It was a great pleasure and honor reading you’re feed backs and ideas, rest shored that they helped further understand my ideology
t was a great pleasure and honor reading your feed backs and ideas, rest shored that they helped further understand my ideology
I think if you stick around on here you'll find a lot of us have rational, logical reasons for being an atheist and that most of us are pretty well read although we don't always read or are interested in the same things. I used to debate/discuss religion with people on other websites and have thus far found this place to be quite refreshing in comparison. We all go on our anti-religion rants once in a while but for the most part I've seen the arguments and discussions here based on logic, rationality and science and if they are not most people seem to openly admit that they are using anecdotal evidence or incomplete evidence. Anyways... I hope you stick around and jump into a few discussions.
This has been a very interesting discussion. It speaks to the heart of being an atheist. What binds us all together as atheists is our unbelief, not our level of intellectual abilities to speak to this fact.

Will Rogers once said, “ I don’t belong to any organized political party, I’m a Democrat.” I guess the same can be said about being an atheist. Unbelief is all that is necessary.
Because you read a couple of books you think you're more enlightened? You shure you're not religious? And yes the type you talk about are posers most of the time, but looks like youshould fit in. Religion bashing is a fun thing to do, but you don't need to read boring ass books to be qualified an "atheist". I'd bash some pseudo intellectual babbling about existentialism or friedrich whatever just as much a I'd bash some sientologist and his xenu.
no offense to anyone but you.

you dare to talk about atheism??? novitiate!

you do some name-dropping (not really impressive), some whining - but yeah, you at least somewhat made a shitty lil point millions of ppl have made for x and y, sometimes even for h.

congratz.

some hints for next time: its not philosophy or novels that triumph over the god delusion, it's SOLID SCIENCE, stuff that really DESERVES to have UNI-VERS-ITIES

compared to some depressed french freaks (sarte) or womenhating syphilissiacs (nietzsche).

i read nietzsche in it's original form (look it up, it's german) and Also sprach Zarathustra was so disappointing, repeating and boring thati didn't even finish it.

nietzsche is good for some chit-chat-aphorisms and the 125th chapter of his fröhliche wissenschaften.

rushdie is a waste of time, read the wiki article (but not the whole). a fatwa doesn't make you a writer yet.

bartol? who the fuck is bartol???

lizzn you played out player, if you wanna drop names, do it the right way and study your hawkings & dawkins before i diss you again.

MODERATOR EDIT (Reggie): No Ad Hom attacks are allowed on T|A.
"some hints for next time: its not philosophy or novels that triumph over the god delusion, it's SOLID SCIENCE, stuff that really DESERVES to have UNI-VERS-ITIES"

(my emphasis in bold)

I feel I should point out that without the philosophy you deride there would be no science or "UNI-VERS-ITIES". The trains of thought and the teachings of the natural philosophers - probably the first scientists - are the bedrock of all our scientific thought. Science requires the assumption of a metaphysical philosophy that cannot be proven beyond that of any other metaphysic. Just because we accept it as the best way to seek knowledge and advancement does nothing to change the fact that it is a philosophy.

If all you wish to deal with are cold hard facts that you can put in a laboratory and poke with a stick, that's fine. But if you also wish to throw away the philosophy - both ancient and modern - then you will never understand how it is we have a laboratory in the first place, or why we need to keep poking things with sticks.
"some hints for next time: its not philosophy or novels that triumph over the god delusion, it's SOLID SCIENCE, stuff that really DESERVES to have UNI-VERS-ITIES"

1) Science is a form of philosophy (i.e. a form of epistemology concerned with logic, reason and empiricism). There is no secret behind the fact that the greatest philosophers to live were also among the greatest scientists and mathematicians and vice-versa.

2) Philosophy triumphs science in two words: pessimistic induction.

Philosophy nurtures critical thought which is required for any and all endeavors in the realm of science.
Bravo.
Bravo for both of you *Clapping*
So, reading Nietzsche and Sartre make you a better atheist than everyone else? Sounds like elitist BS to me.

I've read some of them, that didn't make me an atheist. Rational thinking at the age of 9 before I had ever heard of Nietzsche or Sartre did it for me. Add to that higher education in Biology and Physics, an understanding of the world we live in and a total disregard for high falootin' philosophy and BS and I am the atheist I was to begin with from the day I was born.

Stop reading books and thinking that makes you a better atheist than the ones around you. Go out and live life and learn something of value and then participate in the conversation that is life. Until that point, you come off like a spoiled kid with nothing of value to say.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service