"No, atheists don't have to show respect for religion"

This article is SO relevant for me because I recently cut someone out of my life because I no longer wanted to hold my tongue on my Facebook and Twitter page for fear of offending her AND because I didn't want to hear her mouth whenever I criticized religion and theism.

No Atheists Don't Have to Show "Respect" For Religion

I'll try my best to respect people but respecting religion...nah.

My former friend just couldn't get this through her head and unfortunately, I had to cut her off.

Tags: religion, respect

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I show respect when it is deserved.  Some religions are more worthy of respect than others.  Taoism and Buddhism for example, do not necessitate the worship of deities, and are basically just philosophies which are for the most part, positive in nature.  Christianity and Islam however, are nihilistic, and do not place much value on life on earth, as everything is geared towards "paradise" with their god. This results in a great deal of pain and suffering in the world, as they have killed and tortured in the name of their god, and raped the land, as they believe they have "dominion" over the earth.  Therefore, I do not have respect for Christianity or Islam.

You should see ZOMGitscriss on youtube, her video "Respect" talk about this

btw, love the believer not the belief (?) ;D 

Greta is an excellent writer and she's dead on, as usual. I will respect people, but their beliefs have to earn respect, it does not come by default.
I hate that especially on facebook everybody is so damn "religious" , you say what you think and everybody demands respect while they don't respect our lack of belief.
Feel free to rant, that's why we are all here, to lick our wounds and find friends :D

great article- thanks for posting the link

I agree- religion should not ever get a free pass from discussion and criticism- and I also disagree with some of the commenters here- I don't respect people until they have earned it - no automatic respect from me :)

I ALWAYS grant people a basic level of respect just because they are fellow human beings. After that, depending on how they behave, the level of respect goes up or down. I'm 70 years old and have seen a lot in life. All this blather about "All We Need Is Love" just simply does not work. We humans are not constituted to "love" people we've no interaction with. My observations show me that offering basic human respect can solve problems before they even happen in ways that a phoney "love" cannot. False declarations of love can be seen through so easily and quickly that you insult people with that ridiculous claim. Besides, we have very little control over whom we love.

We have good control over who we will give respect to, however. And we can demand basic human respect in return, until we lose it or increase it by our behaviour. I am, of course, talking about respect for people - NOT for their philosophies or religions or politics or any other ideas they may have. Those definitely have to earn respect from the get-go.

I quite agree, Larry. A person, by virtue of being a person, gets a default level of respect from me. Whether or not that level of respect increases or decreases depends upon their actions.

And yes, the default level of respect for ideas (not people) is zero.

Larry, I will agree there is a BASIC level of respect to give people, depending on who they are.

I will NOT give a rapist, child molester, etc. any respect.

I remember being a little kid and my step-mom was being quite mean to me (which wasn't uncommon) and my dad stopped her tirade against me and said, "You do not DEMAND her respect, you EARN it. Just because she is a child doesn't mean she should respect you." I will NEVER forget that (unless of course I develop Alzheimer's).

I'm maybe little bit strange but I will give my respect (a small amount of it) to anyone including criminals, because I can't just burn them on a stake or kill them because they are criminals, they should get a second chance and repent for what they did, much more useful this way. If we just start to kill every criminal because we don't respect them any more, is not far from saying that we don't see them as human anymore. And this is scary. Because where do we draw the line? So I give everyone their basic respect and that's it.

Saying you don't respect someone and calling for their death are two VERY different things.

Instead of wishing my rapist death, I'd much rather see him in prison.

I am very much against the death penalty and I'm not sure how you could infer I would be for it. From your post Gregor, it seems like you somehow think I am pro-death penalty.

Well, I did get the feeling that you are pro-death, but I didn't say it because I don't know, but now I know that you aren't.

But I tried to say is that the question of death penalty boils down to humanism, the respect for other people no mater how they act.

Because religion is the one that has strange absolute laws that work in reverse (exmpl. christians believe that jesus was christian even though he created christianity and therefore couldn't been a christian himself). Now, why am I talking about this? Because if someone becomes a killer and you stop respecting him it sounds to me that now you don't respect him in reverse to the time he was a child, now if you go even further because you might say:"Oh, it must be in his genes, I knew his father, he was a killer also.", then you reverse even further and realise that we are killers by nature because of some mythological Cain or because once we were all predators.

So I always respect a person but don't respect the act of that person and I don't change my opinion of someone if he kills someone. I know it sounds absurd but I blame society for everything :D

For example, if a soldier kills in a war because society want's to kill another society I can blame this soldier for not being humane but I can't take away his humanity by calling him a war criminal and dehumanising him.

RSS

Forum

Calling All Vaginas!

Started by Pope Beanie in Small Talk 9 minutes ago. 0 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 1 hour ago. 21 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 4 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 10 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service