This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 6975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does he even realize what he's saying about men? That they're incapable of controlling themselves? Clearly he's unaware that that's not an indictment of women, quite the opposite!

And this from India:

State: kerala 

Breast feeding in public is not at all considered as a sexual activity in our country. But at the same time women in our country are shy to feed the baby in public because it has been noticed that men just try to peep into the privacy of a feeding mother, which makes a lady ashamed of the act. It's difficult to accept but it's a truth. 

Prasida

I'm inclined to agree with "Bill," back on page1, for those of you who haven't bothered to read all 24 pages, who said:

"The individual male who controls a harem of females has an increased chance of reproductive success. Turning females into property and making them invisible to your competitors is a means to that end."

Also on or about page 1, someone asked why it was OK to depict topless African tribeswomen on TV or in some documentaries. I wasn't so much interested in the answer to that, per se, as I was how it might relate to Bill's comment. If, as Bill says, it's about men making females invisible as sexual objects to other men, why do not the African tribesmen, whose women go bare-breasted, feel that way? Is it only a cultural thing, prevalent among nations with a Judeo/Christian/Islamic predilection, which would include those societies that were closely governed by countries with a Judeo/Christian/Islamic background, such as the tribesmen of certain African countries as well as the various Pacific Islands where breasts were proudly displayed, pre-"civilization"? Or could it be that the truly primitive tribesmen of Africa and South America, don't view breasts as particularly sexual, but rather more utilitarian? Or could it simply be that the more we (men) are restricted from regularly viewing female breasts, the more interested we are in them, a fascination we would lose, if we were constantly exposed? Food for thought.

I must also, in all honesty ladies, and with all due respect, say that there are some breasts I would prefer not to see uncovered, as well as some I have, but wish I hadn't. It's kinda like Forrest's box of chocolates, ya never know what you're gonna get --

With some surprise I realized that I don't recall this showing up anywhere in this thread:

I echo your astonishment, it's priceless!

Here's a wiki on attitudes, by country, on public breastfeeding . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breastfeeding_in_public#Attitudes_by_c...

From Wikipedia:

Sierra Leone has the highest infant mortality rate in the world. During a goodwill trip to the country, actress Salma Hayek breastfed on camera a hungry week-old infant whose mother could not produce milk. She said she did it to reduce the stigma associated with breastfeeding and to encourage infant nutrition.

I commend your exhaustive research, Exile - apparently you find the subject titillating --

Ha ha. Just attempting to insert something . . . anything . . . objective into this prolonged discussion.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Yes, thank you for keeping us abreast of this issue.

Guys. Breasts are sexual. Because they nourish offspring. It's evolution. That's really kinda all there is to it.

Speaking for myself, nourishing offspring is not the reason I respond to them in a sexual way. I would think most women view them as more than just milk jugs, too.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service