This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 6928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Breastfeeding IS very pleasurable....but because of the "taboo" subject it is, women don't often talk about it for fear of being labeled a pervert.

So, a woman beast-feeding in public is somewhat like a male masturbating in public.

"So, a woman beast-feeding in public is somewhat like a male masturbating in public."

Unless you know of roving bands of men, picketing for the right to polish the pud in public, not so much --

Breastfeeding women picket store
VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Aug. 8 (UPI) -- A Canadian clothing store in Vancouver was picketed by at least 60 breastfeeding women after a new mother was chastised for feeding her infant.

One small step for breastfeeding.....
Breastfeeding photo ban by Facebook sparks global protest by mothers
A global campaign has been launched by thousands of mothers against social networking site Facebook for banning photos of women breastfeeding.

After researching a little on attitudes (about public breastfeeding) from around the world, it appears that it's socially acceptable where MEN don't turn it into something sexual. It seems that religion -- especially Islam -- has a lot of influence on how men react to public breastfeeding. Another important factor is poverty. Many poor people can't afford formula or even baby bottles, so mothers feed only by breast. Apparently, if they're old or unattractive, they get stared at less.

That's funny because in my experience I've always gotten the catty looks stares and nasty comments from other women while breastfeeding in public. Even from women who are mothers!!!! 

You're right. As a rule, men are just hoping to get a peek. We have no reason to object. I have never even heard of a male getting all bent out of shape over nursing a baby in public.

Breast contact is pleasurable for women (assuming they are otherwise receptive). Men discovered attention to them moves things along sex-wise. 

Simple as that.

Whether or not (and how) to display breasts is cultural. The fixation on nipples (pasties on exotic dancers, for example) is somewhat hilarious.

Breastfeeding in public equivalent to maturbation????? Um - no

But there does come a point where you say, "wait til we get home sweetheart," because it's just not socially acceptable...at least that's what I did.

Are there countries where public breastfeeding is normal? I wonder if the hang-up truly is a matter of culture (social acceptability) or if there's something else, perhaps deeper, in play here.

When I was a little kid, believe it or not, some women breastfed in church!

I Googled this topic and, so far, find that public breastfeeding is normal in Israel and in most African countries WITHOUT a strong Muslim influence. I'm still searching for info from other countries.

Yikes! Read what this guy, from Saudi Arabia, has to say:

State: Jeddah 
If woman feed her baby and the peoples are seeing her, of course they like to see her breast more and more and may be they come hot and like to do sex with that lady who is feeding. And I think it is not good that any lady feed her babies in public places. If she want yes, she can move to the place where no one can see her.

Bilal

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Devlin Cuite 47 minutes ago. 111 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service