This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 7774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Human beings are not their genes. We are not our genetic relatedness, nor are we one big family. The charge brought by theists that non-believers lack a universal morality has merit,for while there can be no universal morality, there most certainly is objective morality. That which benefits the individual person's life constitutes the good. All that hinders or obfuscates obtainment of things or states of affairs that promote, enhance, or sustain a person's existence is evil. Only a rational self interest can function as a standard of value to inform an objective ethical code. As a man, it is in my rational self interest to obtain the most wealth, knowledge and power I can achieve. This is done by cooperating with other like minded individuals via the "Trader Principle" explicated by Ayn Rand.

"There is no conflict of interests among men who do not desire the unearned, who do not make sacrifices nor accept them, who deal with one another as traders, giving value for value.

The principle of trade is the only rational ethical principle for all human relationships, personal and social, private and public, spiritual and material. It is the principle of justice.

A trader is a man who earns what he gets and does not give or take the undeserved. He does not treat men as masters or slaves, but as independent equals. He deals with men by means of a free, voluntary, unforced, uncoerced exchange—an exchange which benefits both parties by their own independent judgment. A trader does not expect to be paid for his defaults, only for his achievements. He does not switch to others the burden of his failures, and he does not mortgage his life into bondage to the failures of others.

In spiritual issues—(by “spiritual” I mean: “pertaining to man’s consciousness”)—the currency or medium of exchange is different, but the principle is the same. Love, friendship, respect, admiration are the emotional response of one man to the virtues of another, the spiritual payment given in exchange for the personal, selfish pleasure which one man derives from the virtues of another man’s character. Only a brute or an altruist would claim that the appreciation of another person’s virtues is an act of selflessness, that as far as one’s own selfish interest and pleasure are concerned, it makes no difference whether one deals with a genius or a fool, whether one meets a hero or a thug, whether one marries an ideal woman or a slut. In spiritual issues, a trader is a man who does not seek to be loved for his weaknesses or flaws, only for his virtues, and who does not grant his love to the weaknesses or the flaws of others, only to their virtues."

Consequently, treating others as equals would entail ignoring theism's nipple taboo, for a woman is not property, nor can she be property. She is instead a partner in the quest for wealth, knowledge, success, and spreading Capitalist civilization throughout the Solar System.
Breast are regarded as sexual. I thinks that's it pure and simple. Anything sexual in our puritanical culture is taboo while at the same time titillating (pun intended). On the one hand sex used to get people's attention in almost every arena but then the condemnation of sex and sexualization; it excites and arouses but is forbidden except in certain contexts. It is a mixed up situation.

Although I have posted several comments supporting the idea that breasts are sexual, that does not mean that I support the idea that they are obscene.  The attitude of so many Americans is, I think, a result of their twisted moral training.  Their religion teaches them to be terribly concerned with pleasing the authority figures and controlling their private parts but to be relatively unconcerned with actual harm to others.  In other words, though I understand the basic idea behind the attitude, the depth of the reaction of most people in the U.S. is pathological.

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/09/religion-and-moral...

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/10/moral-insanity-of-...

If I was to read this entire discussion from the start, page by page, I would have those "breasts" flashed at me at least 21 times. That could lead to long term damage. Stop staring !!
we in   Ontario have passed the  law about ten years ago  that  woman  can go topless, so  there is  no prob  in Ottawa Canada with breast .
What are the statistics on the male increase in population In Ottawa in the past decade ?
Wow, I am number one for the day for discussions! Happy 4th!
Congrats.  A long ago post about nipples still has legs.
Interesting picture, whether nipples or breasts excite males is a personal matter. Suppose you were male of the gay community would it matter? It doesn't matter so much to me either unless there is some personal interest involved. I have performed nuclear medicine research with lymphoscintigraphy for Breast Ca, so I have seen an uncountable # of breasts of which women hold a deep personal interest in their holistic, humanistic well being of being a whole, complete part of their health and happiness. To take this away is like if you would take the testicles or penis away from a male. I agree the US regard to sexuality is bassakwards but that needs to change and it won't unless everyone especially women stand up for their rights as equal citizens in this country!  The human body doesn't change, no matter where on earth you travel, it is society's role in controlling what you should or shouldn't see, its time the US rids of the sexual BS that hinders society moving forward to a better future.  The human body is a work of art and science and should be considered magnificent no matter sex, religion, etc...  This is why art was destroyed in past centuries so the LGBT wouldn't go against the teachings of the religions. Equal rights for all including animals, but if the question was turned from a male perspective, even though both male and female share nipples, how would a woman feel if a male had no testicles? Sorry no time to photoshop a image of such,but then again a women's body is considered more of sensuality and art than a males, but I never thought about a research project regarding what a woman would think regarding a picture of a male with out his testicles, or vice-versa testicles without a penis.  How would you perceive this image? I think Americans are generally closed minded and not open to discuss anything sexually in nature, Why? The answers are cultural, personal and unfortunately makes society walk around with horse blinders on.  It hinders health care and freedom of expression.  I believe in the right to self determination so do as you please as long as you are responsible for you actions.  Breast as always been a form of art for centuries, but the US is always behind in everything regarding human nature.
@Scotty:  One word:  Paragraphs.
We're also light years behind the rest of the Western world in political & social matters.  Woe is us.
More like those social norms are the result of the discouragement and the means to enforce it

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 2 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service