This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 6933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ummmm ... they wouldn't really be having those babies if men didn't want to have sex with the women. So I don't think you can say anything about the 'main function' of female breasts being 'to feed their babies' ...
The primary function of breasts in mammals is to feed young. No one should be disputing that.
But we are not talking about all mammals , we are talking about female homosapiens!
Are you suggesting that breasts in "female homo-sapiens" is an example of convergent evolution and that it developed independently from breasts in other mammals with only an ancillary role of feeding young? That is quite a claim!

Let's try it this way. Ask yourself if a woman can have sex without breasts. Then, ask yourself if a woman can feed a resulting baby without breasts (barring a wet nurse or baby formula).

ahhh , but you are barring the wet nurse ... which have been around since the beginning of time.  

What would happen if the mother died?  The baby would be fed from another woman in the tribe , perhaps a sister or aunt or someone else altogether.  

Sure women can have sex with their breasts covered.  Just like they can raise a child without breast feeding them!  

Just curious ... would you say the primary function of a penis is to urinate or is it's primary purpose to ejaculate semen for impregnation?  

Wet nurses are not an evolutionary development, which is why I would bar it same as modern era formula. If female kin lactated when a relative gave birth, then it might be a different story. As far as I know, this is not the case. Only a woman already lactating could nurse an orphan. Someone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong on that.

Therefore, if a mammal can't feed her young, they will likely die. Simple.

A penis is not a breast. Again, the primary function of mammalian breasts is to feed young. Your insatiable lust for boobies doesn't change that fact.
Ok , I admit , my argument sucks. You're actually changed my opinion. Female breasts hold a main function of breast feeding and providing nutrients to their young. Sigh..
Whether or not that is the primary function isn't the question.  The question is whether they perform other functions as well.  I think they do.  Not only do they signal sexual maturity, stimulating the nipples stimulates the pleasure center of the brain just like stimulation of other parts more explicitly sexual.
also very true ... I think many here are using the 'moving the goalpost' fallacy ... so instead of addressing the issue of whether or not breasts and nipples are sexually stimulating , they are arguing breasts and nipples main function is to breastfeed , which in my opinion , has nothing to do with anything. Because I could argue a penis' main function is to urinate ... so why do I have to wear pants ?
It became the question as people migrated towards an evolutionary argument for function.  I don't argue that they don't serve any other function.  Skin can be sensual, but it is not an argument for covering skin at all times in public.
Yeah, lots of thing can be sensual and where do you draw the line?  That's the question.  Personally, I don't have any problem with considering breasts to be more sexual than almost any other part of a woman's body.  Why?  Because that is the way I feel about it.  As I mentioned before, stimulation of the nipples directly stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain.  If I ever doubted that, this one girl proved it to me when she snuck up on one of my own nipples when I wasn't looking or expecting it.  Not that she was trying to prove it.  She obviously already knew.
Stimulation of skin directly stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain.  Some areas are more sensitive than others.  Our fingertips are the most sensitive.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service