This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 7461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm particularly fond of porcelain skinned gals. "Private parts" unfamiliar with the daylight are much sexier, in my opinion. But, I also except a much wider range of beauty than many of my contemporaries. Variety is the spice of life!

I think this taboo is very American. In the UK you can see nipples all the time there is even a daily newspaper which features a model baring her chest for the country every day. And Brits are more prudish than their continental european cousins.
Wow, This was a good discussion. My opinion actually changed by the time i finished reading. Having worked in restaurants for a while i had ladies who would come in and breastfeed from time to time and i have to admit that it made me uncomfortable but i never thought about why. I definitely feel now that the issue is conditioning. I think the arguments about seeing boobs in public more often would desexualize the issue for men in America is a valid point and possibly worth a try. Trouble is that i have never felt comfortable in a topless bar and this is one of the few places where nudity is allowed. I have only been twice or so and i always ended up giving the girls all my money because i felt bad that they were taking off their clothes to entertain me. Western religious Society says that men are taking advantage of women when they go to such places. However Who is really taking advantage of who? I don't know anymore. Maybe neither was taking advantage so to speak. Perhaps if some of the taboos were killed and we grew up and started supporting women breastfeeding in public then some of these healthier attitudes about sex would become more prevalent and we could start heading in a direction that is more positive for all.
I think the arguments about seeing boobs in public more often would desexualize the issue for men in America is a valid point and possibly worth a try.

I see what you did there. Sign me up!

And...can my wife have a waiver?
For me, not wanting women to breastfeed in restaurants has nothing to with seeing breasts. It has to do with not wanting bodily fluids in my food. Breast milk can actually spray out if the baby slips off. If have seen this happen! That thought is really gross!
I've seen little kids spray milk out of their noses!
In the old days people breastfed in public all the time and no one gave it a second thought. This was because EVERYONE breastfed if they could.. if they couldn't they'd try to find a wet-nurse. This was as true for the united states as it was for anywhere else.... Even the most prudish of people didn't even blink at the sight of a breast-feeding mother and baby. When did nipples become public enemy number one?
I think this is something someone needs to research. When the hell did things change like this where nipples our outrageous yet we keep on trying to put less and less clothing on women to show off everything around them?
My grandmother (she's 85!) once expressed regret over not nursing her daughters. She said back in her day women rarely breastfed and never in public because it was considered old fashioned and dirty. Infant formula was originally advertised as a healthier (yes HEALTHIER), easy, convenient, affordable alternative so by the 50's most infants were bottlefed. Perhaps that's when female nipples were forced into eternal darkness?

Breastfeeding rates vary greatly from state to state, as do reactions to public breastfeeding. I'm told by some of my friends that people are less likely to bat a lash at a women nursing in California, but here in the conservative bible belt I've had some rather shocking reactions. I once had a woman say "Oh dear lord!", grab a blanket from my bag, and try to throw it over my infant's face in 100 degree weather. I just took it off and laughed at her. I had the urge to squirt her in the eye but thought that might be crossing the line. For the record, the boobie parasite was in a sling and I was sitting in a shady corner wearing a nursing top that covered every inch of skin. She was simply passing by. I guess she was afraid an unexpected "wardrobe malfunction" might traumatize her and her husband might burn in hell for coveting my discovery channel rack.

Sophie, thank you so much for bringing up this issue. My kids are a tad older now and I'd since forgotten how silly this double standard is. I've totally got the urge now to frighten some Christians by sticking a nipple into a baby socket. I have to admit, those were some good times.
What area was this? ID, WY, SD, NB & WV have no breastfeeding laws. The other 45 states all have laws allowing a woman to breastfeed anywhere she and the baby are allowed to be, and most of those also exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws.
I have to echo Reggie's sentiments on this topic. Hot women get my attention, and I've always loved boobs/nipples. I can't help it. Topless women are common in South Beach, Miami, and I'm there almost every week (with other friends) despite living just over an hour north (in Boca Raton). It actually takes effort for me not to be that creepy guy who stares... especially since, unlike the popular joke, it can actually be more like Playboy than National Geographic.

It's a failing, I know, and it shames me. :(

Of course I support it, and, at least consciously, I support it for the right reasons. But do I subconsciously support it for the wrong reasons? because I want to see more female nipples? I ask myself that sometimes...

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 5 hours ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 10 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 19 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service