This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 7463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the pic xD
and deff its not as taboo in my mind since the nipples are missing. Never thought of it that way, but hey nipples make a big difference.

It's deff a cultural/religious thing as Bill said.
The history of clothing, the introduction of shame by religion, and the uptight society of prudes we all live with seem to have a long, distorted history.

Being a guy, I love to walk around with my shirt off in the sun. When I'm out hiking and biking I usually toss the tee and let me man nips taste the free air. It doesn't seem fair that I can and women can't.
mixed messages i think and a shovel full of racism.
Racism? Do tell!
That is what I thought it may be, too. But I wouldn't necessarily call that racism.
Maybe there is some truth to it. But, I see the pressure to cover up a body part as being directly related to what effect that body part being visible has on the people in that society. So, whether it is a Bonobo butt, an Amish woman's ankle, or a tribal woman's breast, what effect does it have? We take our kids to the zoo and they can watch apes copulate. Amish men have Nude Ankle magazines hidden under the mattresses, and men in certain parts of the world don't go Lady Gaga over a tribal woman's breast.
I agree. I wouldn't necessarily call that racism either. Cultural prejudice sounds closer. Maybe our society considers native or tribal cultures more "innocent" when it comes to nudity? Perhaps most people think the shame regarding nudity only applies to a culture that is aware public nudity is "morally wrong?" Not that I believe it is, but this thread has definitely made me rethink a few of my personal views on nudity. I thought I shook off all the residual religion over a decade ago!

It also dawned on me that another example of ridiculous exceptions to shielding nipples from western eyes can be found in art. A while back facebook decided pictures of women breastfeeding were offensive and immediately removed them. However, paintings such as Picasso's Maternity were allowed. What's the difference?

And I stumbled upon this the other day which says the facebook female nipple nazis even removed an image of a plastic doll because it had nipples. When it was pointed out that other groups had full frontal statues of David as their icons, facebook apologized about the doll icon and welcomed the owner to re-upload it in all its nipplicious glory.
When it was pointed out that other groups had full frontal statues of David as their icons, facebook apologized about the doll icon and welcomed the owner to re-upload it in all its nipplicious glory.

That is awesome.
WELL ... lots to say on this subject ... one feminist angle is that women are generally presented as 'up for it' ie wanting sex. A woman showing her nipples in this society is obviously 'up for it'.

We do not see erect penises even in Hollywood films or Greek statues (where male sexual organs are very small eg Michaelangelo's David - so real men don't feel inadequate?) - erect penises are much more taboo and they are the signifier of 'hard core'. So much, so obvious. National Geographic was used for masturbation by adolescent boys up to 2 generations ago. Western art is traditionally dominated by the 'male gaze' - what do you make of Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe by Manet? (The one with the very fully clothed men having a picnic with a very unclothed woman.)

We do not see things 'innocently' but through the lenses of our culture and thoughts - there's no way around this. Also, my tentative view, from what I've read and experienced is that on average, men are more visually turned on whereas women's other senses are perhaps more important eg touch, smell.

My dear husband would love me to go around topless in the streets but I'm not sure it would be a good idea ... why? Many reasons - perhaps firstly because it would be the opposite of 'liberation' ... eg because I would likely be sexually accosted or arrested ... it would be assumed that I would be 'up for it'.
Joking apart - don't I have a 'point' there? (if you pardon the expression)

Wasn't the question was why women's nipples are taboo in the West compared with men's nipples?

I think you are idealising 'European' beaches btw ... there are plenty of taboos for women in having the 'wrong' type of body as the reply by Morgan-LynnGriggs exemplifies.
Yes I think there's some confusion on this thread between taboo and 'what I prefer to look at' ... so that the taboo about women's nipples v men's becomes 'well I prefer looking at attractive boobs n nips' ... whatever 'attractive' means to that person ...

My point is generally the ol' feminist one about historical male power combined with capitalism as better described by John Berger in his BBC series/ book 'Ways of Seeing' ... plus my own view/ commonsense/ experience? (hmm what's commonsense, eh?) that heterosexual men are generally more visually turned on than women ... the Burka is one way to resolve this but obviously not mine (I hope it's obvious, anyway!) Beauty might be a whole other kettle of fish if we're not talking 'sexual attractiveness'.

As for the body types of Think Atheist members - again, obviously we are MUCH more attractive physically, mentally and sexually than anyone else ... and our nipples are sensational .... or is that just me???!
As for the body types of Think Atheist members - again, obviously we are MUCH more attractive physically, mentally and sexually than anyone else ... and our nipples are sensational .... or is that just me???!

Nope! I agree! T|A members have very sensational nipples!

RSS

Blog Posts

The Void of Silence

Posted by Carol Foley on July 31, 2014 at 11:02pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service