This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 7634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another weird double standard: If a man stares at a woman's nipples, the world explodes, but no one gives a damn if a woman stares at a man's nipples (even if that man is a D cup)
Very good point.

Although I should point out that I do think it's kinda creepy (either way). I mean, men go topless normally, and most women who also go topless publically do so for the same reason men do... I'm assuming. It's not to get guys to drool over their breasts...

Right? :/
I always just assumed it's for temperature reasons. Or at least that's why I'd do it, July is freaking hot. I can also see people doing it for tanning purposes.
Those are my assumptions, too.
But, the male breast and nipple are not considered erogenous by most women. So, this difference in perception among the genders creates different circumstances for the two standards.
But, the male breast and nipple are not considered erogenous by most women.

Because men go topless all the time (I don't... I couldn't subject people to a view that grosses me out... it's why I go to the gym twice a week, ride a bike every day, and am currently on a diet).

I wonder, if women were to go topless at least as much, how long it would take before society, and men in general, would be accustomed to it. You and I can both say we never would, but we don't really know that for a fact. Would breasts/nipples be seen as erogenous by most men if women were to go topless at least as much?

But on the flip-side, there are some women who, quite frankly, should just wear parkas year-round... and I seriously doubt there are no women who feel the same way about some guys, as well.
Because men go topless all the time

No I don't!

But, I do agree to a point, but not that far. While breasts are taboo because they are taboo, they are also indicators of fertility and reproductive ability, right? Male breasts and nipples are not that way, unless it is advertising the fitness or lack of fitness of the male.

Oh hell, I don't know.
I didn't say all men, just men in general. Like, at a beach n' shit, the vast majority of men are topless (unfortunately, many of them shouldn't be).

But unless you're at a topless beach, most women are in a one-piece/bikini/g-string/not topless.

And I don't know, either, although this:
unless it is advertising the fitness or lack of fitness of the male.

Is an interesting hypothesis. I wonder if it's true?
That's not her. Says so right above the pic.

(Though I do kinda wish it was...)
Agreed
Oh...

In that case...

Carry on... nothin' to see, here...

:D
I keep picturing Darth Vader saying it...

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service