This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 7974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe the same could be said for genitals, but is that an argument for putting them out for display?
what harm would be done to anyone by seeing me swinging in the wind out in public? Somewhere in the timeline of civilization , sexual organs were being covered up with cloth. I've seen pictures of Roman Gladiators and Warriors naked as day ... Or wearing one of those tiny little slivers of white cloth. Didn't the Romans revere the human body and didn't sculptures used to explicitly show the breasts of a woman ... the statue of David is a prime example , my grandmother has one in her bathroom.

http://www.google.com/search?q=statue+of+David&hl=en&rlz=1C...

it's a statue of a man with a limp penis. Would it be any more offensive if it walked around?
I'm merely prompting for an argument in favor. Because Romans did it is not a good argument. They also fed Christians to lions and...oh, that actually might agree with some here. Well, at any rate, you get my point, right?
No I don't , because I didn't use the argument 'because the Romans did it' lol
I just mentioned that they were public with penises.
My argument is that it doesn't hurt anyone - or at least shouldn't - I am sure more Atheists would be least likely to cover their childrens eyes if a beautiful naked woman walked into the restaurant they were eating at or if a masculine and well defi
I don't really feel they would be on "display" anyway. People don't get angry when they see a woman's thigh the way the world used to. We're evolving, making us cover our bodies can make people feel that nakedness is wrong, and they will feel more shameful of their bodies.
Yes, you did use that argument. That Romans were a detail is not relevant.

Those are *not* silly questions.

You might find this story interesting -- in NY it is completely legal for women to go topless, but you'll probably still get harassed/arrested by cops for doing it:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/topless_in_cent.php

You also see this with people freaking out about public breast feeding.

I'd feel more comfortable with public nudity if it were only in designated places, like nude beaches, where everybody is aware and tolerant of nudity.  Different strokes for different folks.  Some are more progressive than others.  Some are less inhibited than others.  I'm not sure that honoring our differences includes flaunting them in (general) public -- especially when children are present.

And let's not forget that there's health concerns connected to total nudity.

My parting thought is that a world of 24/7 tits everywhere would serve mostly to remove the mystique of the veiled physique.  And that would be a great loss as far as I'm concerned.
My parting thought is that a world of 24/7 tits everywhere would serve mostly to remove the mystique of the veiled physique.  And that would be a great loss as far as I'm concerned.
That is gold, AE.
Children are the last people who will be traumatized by seeing boobs. Pre-puberty they generally don't care about that stuff unless they somehow picked up the sexual hangups of adults
IDK i play with mine all of the time. Lol. I know something so natural and needed for life, feeding a child, shouldn't be so taboo.
LOL people are such interesting creatures

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 64 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 3 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 8 hours ago. 12 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 12 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service