This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 7872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, I am going to have to call BS on this.  Fingertips are sensitive in the sense that they report tactile stimulation better than other parts of the skin--not in the sense that they are erogenos zones direct stimulation of which activates the pleasure centers of the brain.  The nipples are second only to the genitalia in that department.  Why?  To encourage breastfeeding and mother/child bonding.  As a side effect, the nipples can also be sources of sexual arousal--more so than most other spots on the body.

In general, it's a societal thing. Most Americans, when this is brought up, will cite the fact that women are the only mammal with swollen mammory glands while not pregnant, as though this is a clear sign that they are meant to attract a mate, but this still doesn't really cover the nipple thing, which makes no sense to me at all. I look forward to the responses people can come up with on here. 

I thought we already responded to this?  The female breast area is not at all equivalent to the male breast area.  I can't tell you how many girls put in the dating website profiles "And if you have a picture of your chest or your 6 pack I can promise you I won't respond , that's just arrogant and gross."  

Try finding me one guy with a profile line that says "And if you have a snapshot of yourself in a bathing suit , you won't receive any response from me!"  

Easy.  According to Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, "Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which increases earthquakes."  Boom.

The Earth doesn't actually move--it just feels like it.

Oh, you're talking about some crazy religious guy.  Sorry.  I thought you were relating someone's sexual experiences.

Actually I don't think nipples are taboo. I think breasts are taboo. The problem is where do breasts start and end and how can they be differentiated from other, non-taboo bits. Nipples are more definable. If you see a nipple, you definitely looking at a breast.
Breasts are taboo because they're erotic. A better question from my perspective is, "Why are breasts erotic?" I may well be wrong but I don't believe mammaries play any part in sexual arousal in any other animal - even other great apes. Why is this?
Seventy plus years ago, as an early teen-ager, you could occasionally see African tribe pictures of young women's boobs. The prevailing tyhought then was that no one would get 'turned on' by them.  WRONG !         Boobs are nice !. I still enjoy looking at cleavage.

I see laws which tell women that they must cover their breasts in public places whether they like it or not even in places where a man is permitted to go topless as being equally as bad, and just as discriminatory as passing laws demanding that women 'must' go topless in public whether they like it or not. It should be a free choice of every woman to go topless or not as she sees fit in any place where it is permitted for a man to do so. I believe in equality before the law for both sexes, and I think lawmakers should abolish these antiquated religiously rooted blue laws which deny women gender equal topfreedom, as is advocated on http://www.tera.ca/

Nipples are just fine, and to be quite honest, I am a big sucker for nipples.

My first visit to a beach where dress was optional was in Denmark, almost 40 years ago.   I was almost exhausted walking that beach.  :-)
I suppose a lot of people don't have an urge to bury their faces between a  guy's breasts or suck on his nipples. Bare hooters would be a constant distraction for a lot of people.

Hey, honest answer...

Oh , I also dislike fake boobies. I would much rather them be small and natural then larger and look like a basketball.  

Just sayin'  as long as we're on the subject and it's 12:04 am and I'm bored.. 

I don't think they're a huge deal, I think the human body is beautiful and shouldn't have to be covered. But I don't want to be labeled a sex offender.. Women are supposed to be contained according to scripture and almost all of america is infested with religious people. Its absurd and I hate it. We're passionate, impulsive, emotional beings and we should be just that.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service