This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 7974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correct. My point was that we would eventually become equally inured to the sight of female nipples at the beach if it became the society norm. People need to realize this. The only reason people think female nipples send too much of a sexual signal to ever be displayed publicly is because nipples are the only remaining part of the female upper body left that hasn't been liberated in our society. I think it's hilarious that we've actually reached a point where, in some places, females can wear pasties at beaches (or even in strip clubs) to avoid prosecution under local public indecency laws. That's beyond ridiculous and an amazing idea to get this issue moved forward. I'd love to see large groups of women in pasties storming beaches while people gasp before they understand why they're gasping.

As for your personal question, I've never done that but it is a common behavior amongst females (and some males) which has, and always will, continue to exist because it's one area where women are usually in control. Men often go through dates wondering if they're going to get laid. Women usually know before the date even starts. That won't change if our society finally loses the taboo over female nipples long after the taboo on female cleavage has been lost. Sexual signals will always remain, and they'll continue to involve cleavage displays as long as males continue to love boobs.

Ah, but inured is not the same thing as immune.  The sexual signal would still be there, it would just be interpreted a bit differently.  Social norms may change the exact meaning of non-verbal signals, but they don't change our biology. 

I am not trying to defend indecency laws, by the way, merely to say that I understand what prompted them and don't think they are based purely on religion.

We are more than our biology Mo Trauen! We are no longer base animals, but human beings now, so we can be expected to control our primitive sexual urges until such time as they are appropriate between consenting adults, and merely seeing a topless woman on the beach, or walking down the street or shopping for groceries, is not automatically an invitation to sex, anymore that it is for a Muslim man to use that similar excuse when they rape a woman whose hair was exposed in public. She was asking for it because she was on display like a slut.

What is at issue here is I believe a matter of gender equality for females in a modern age. Females who should be free to dress in public in whatever covered or exposed manner a man is permitted to do. If a restaurant required shirts and shoes, then fine, shirts and shoes for both sexes, but it should not be allowed that you, your son or father are legally permitted to mow your lawn, tend the barbecue or paint the fence topless if you like, when your girlfriend, wife, mother or daughter would be arrested for doing the same thing in the same place. 

People would be all googly eyes for a while, but in a relatively short time, the novelty of saggy tits, and sunburned nipples would wear off, just as it has in many parts of the world who have granted this clothing equality to both sexes.

Many people bridle at the idea of biology driving their behavior.  Being self-aware and complicated may make us more than biological automatons to an extent, but never doubt that the beast is still lurking within.

I am not defending the idea of prudishness.  I think the idea of having laws against nudity is ridiculous.  Whether people want to do things that might be interpreted as sending a sexual signal or not is not the business of the government. 

What my previous answer tried to do was explain why such attitudes prevail.  It may well be that we could all get used to a different paradigm, but I suspect that true adjustment would require a generation or two.

terrific post. I think many women just don't realize the sexual attraction of their breasts and nipples.

Women , your breasts and nipples are pure attraction to men. Men want to devour them. I still consider it to be a traffic hazard if women were walking around the streets with bouncing titties. At least it would be for me ... can't speak for other men and their abilities to 'not stare' while driving.
Sounds like somebody needs to work one out.
Not sure what you are implying hah , but the girl I was seeing went away for the summer and she'll be back soon , so I may be a little sexually repressed right now ... but how many men aren't!?

At least I want to devour them , but my sex drive is much higher than most males I am practically 100% certain of that.
Most young males would feel that way. I can sympathize.

Hatred of sexuality, especially women’s sexuality is a xian curse

• You've seen enough TnA in NatGeo to know that many cultures have strongly accepting attitudes towards open display of secondary and primary sex characteristics. In fact, Polynesian societies from which words  like tabu and kapu derive do not employ those terms to enforce “female modesty”. The missionaries created the mumu.

However, in the Big-3 monster theisms = judaism, xianity, and islam, "modesty" in dress and behavior especially directed toward women results from paternalistic social control of human behavior which stiles itself as "morality" but really is religio-political force used by men against women. Women’s rights do not exist in islamic countries. Women’s rights in the US are being attacked every day by xian thugs and their supporters in local, state, and federal government.

* the real issue -- male supremacist social control

Fundie xian males, like their fundie muslim and jewish brothers, shudder at a technological world in which mental agility has replaced physical strength as the core measure of economic utility. This reordering of values strips away a ancient core faith-based lie: god-ordained male supremacy.

Unresolved to this day is a decades long struggle over gender equality -- equal productive and reproductive rights. Whom does The House and Senate back? The relevant group, women themselves, tens of millions of them? Or white male second-hand-god salesmen? Spewing pro-birth at any price. One hundred year old social darwinism tarted up as "family values". Fundies are obvious offenders, but RCs run a close second.

Women's aspirations, self realization, reproductive self-determination must be crushed by direct force. Xian domestic terrorism, like muslim domestic terrorism, humiliates, intimidates, and batters women back to submission. Protected by complicit federal and state officials, cells of xian thugs have been targeting women and their humane values for decades.

Fundie irrationality drives scientific knowledge about sex from America's schools just as it drives medical research abroad. Xian political ideologues must eventually embrace state totalitarianism. Their "truths" can never win popular support. An open society will repudiate their nihilism composed of literalist lies, morally repugnant beliefs, and puritanical rules.

anti_supernaturalist

I have long been a proponent of gender equality, and I have never liked this anti-female rule which allows me as a male to mow my lawn without a shirt on, or to walk down the street topless, or to swim in the municipal swimming pool wearing just shorts, but which disallows females the same privilege or right. It is a sexist rule based on religious values, which deem body parts which are involved in procreation to be unclean, unwholesome and dirty. The mans nipples get a pass because they serve no sexual purpose, but a woman's nipples are profane so they are dirty in the eyes of the faithful. I reject this religiously motivated principle of discriminatory gender bias, but whenever I advocate that women should be granted Equality to walk down the street topless 'if' they want, or mow their lawn topless 'if' they want or to swim topless etc, 'IF' they want just like a man can choose to do 'if' he wants, then I am attacked by feminists who think it should not be allowed.

Who would have ever thought that Feminists would argue against a man who is advocating for legal Equality rights for women!

I often get battered by Feminist women for advocating equality for women in this regard, so then I point these anti-equality feminists to a group of feminists who. like me, want to see women treated with equanimity under the law:( http://www.tera.ca/  ) 'The Topfree Equal Rights Association (TERA) helps women who encounter difficulty going without tops in public places in Canada and the USA, and informs the public on this issue.'

Female breasts may turn men on sexually but their first and MAIN purpose is to feed their babies,just as every other parts of our bodies have it's own function.sooooo breasts aren't strictly to attract men.Are we all forgetting that?
Not at all.  That is why their enlarged shape (compared to those of other animals) signals sexual maturity.  This is another example of nature using one thing to achieve multiple purposes.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service