This is not me.

It is a simple question. Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? I want your opinion. Guys with their shirt off it is okay, but a girl, "OMG DON'T LOOK KIDS! NIPPLES!!! YOU SHOULD BE ashamed OF YOURSELF!" Keep in mind a lot of men have bigger breasts than most women!

Also, is this picture not as taboo in your mind because the nipples have been erased? Finally, while we are on it. Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

I know these sounds like silly questions, but I want some rational discussion over this topic.

Peace and love <3

Soph

Tags: breasts, nipples, taboo

Views: 6933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good. Sometimes I see a pop culture reference where there is none.
A tremor in the boobies. The last time I felt it was in the presence of nipples.
Via Pharyngula.

Breast ironing.

Why are nipples/breasts so taboo? (I'm assuming we are speaking of the USA)

- Because our culture/ideas of modesty says that they are taboo. This is partially due to the influence of the christian religion and it's ideas of modesty (where they got their ideas of modesty who knows?). It is clear however that all human cultures have their own idea of modesty for both men and women. I also feel like in this country it has something to do with the fact that there was a rather large period of time where formula was actively promoted over breastfeeding.

Why can we have nipples of african tribes on public TV but not other races? Why the divide?

- This divide exists for the reason I stated above. Some African tribes have different views of modesty and the particular channels (National Geographic, PBS for example) that show these particular tribal women are trying to accurately portray their way of life this includes their views on modesty.

As for the picture and if I think it's not as taboo because the nipple are erased.... frankly I find that picture disturbing. Boobs have nipples (baring some crazy accident or genetic abnormality) just show the whole damn thing.
I go away a few days and POW! Nine pages! I'll start reading some comments now.
I apologize that I am coming in rather late to this discussion and have not read through all of the comments. Therefore, forgive me if any of this is repetitive. I also apologize to all of you out there who wanted to focus strictly on the sexual nature of the questions posed above.

My concern is not so much that the American taboo surrounding female breasts limits a woman’s freedom to bare her chest. My concern rather is that such a taboo limits a woman’s freedom and even discourages her from breastfeeding her child.

Take this article about bebe Gloton, which was posted on the Fox News website last year, as an example of the taboo at work in planting the idea that breastfeeding is wrong in children. Americans became up in arms over a doll that is fed by a young girl’s breast, stating that it would encourage the maternity instincts of the young girls at a much young age than bottle fed dolls. Why? Just because it makes them more aware of their female body parts? That is absurd!

As this article from examiner.com as another example of this taboo at work against a woman’s right to feed her child. Women getting kicked out of places or almost arrested as a result of something as natural as feeding their child is also absurd.

It is true that in most states there are laws that expressly exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws or allow for women to breastfeed in public places. For example:

In Indiana the law is as follows:

§16-35-6-1
Right to breastfeed
Sec. 1. Notwithstanding any other law, a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere the woman has a right to be.

The Michigan Statutes provide for the following:

§41.181
“(4) As used in this section, “public nudity” means knowingly or intentionally displaying in a public place, or for payment or promise of payment by any person including, but not limited to, payment or promise of payment of an admission fee, any individual's genitals or anus with less than a fully opaque covering, or a female individual's breast with less than a fully opaque covering of the nipple and areola. Public nudity does not include any of the following:
(a) A woman's breastfeeding of a baby whether or not the nipple or areola is exposed during or incidental to the feeding.”

However, even with these laws, the taboo of the exposure of a woman’s breast or nipple extremely limits a woman’s right to feed her child as she chooses.
Even if the law allows the baring of a breast (and the dreaded nipple), in order to breastfeed a baby, the culture seems to be totally against it.

This was exactly my point. What is protected by law is not always protected by society.

I do not even understand the need for the law to carve out an exception to breastfeeding in indecent exposure laws (although I am glad to see that it does expressly protect that right because of the mindset of the American population). When one sees a woman breastfeeding her infant, the furthest thing from one's mind should be the sexual nature and exposure of the breast and nipple. We don't associate baby bottles with nipple exposure or sex in this same manner. So why is a breast that is being used for the same purpose as the bottle subject to different treatment?

To me it is most disconcerting that we (Americans) start teaching our children this taboo at a very young age by allowing them to play with dolls that are bottle fed but not breast fed. In my opinion, this quote from the bebe Gloton article describes the American mentality quite nicely.

“What’s next?” wrote Eric Ruhalter, a parenting columnist for New Jersey’s Star Ledger. “Bebe Sot — the doll who has a problem with a different kind of bottle, and loses his family, job and feelings of self-worth? Bebe Limp — the male doll who experiences erectile dysfunction? Bebe Cell Mate — a weak, unimposing doll that experiences all the indignation and humiliation of life in prison?

How is breastfeeding even put in the same category as alcoholism, erectile dysfunction and prison? How is it even related to one of those things let alone all three? Sure you can discredit the article saying that it came from Fox News, but whether you agree with it or not, a large portion of the American population eats this stuff up.

Breastfeeding should be viewed in the same light as bottle feeding, in that both are methods of a mother feeding her child. Why make any distinction between the two just because a live nipple is involved with one and a plastic nipple with the other? In order to achieve such a mindset, I believe that we need to desensitize the young to the idea of breastfeeding and what better way to start than with baby dolls that can be fed in such a natural manner?
This taboo is leading to shorter lives for men.

Photobucket

A rather bizarre study carried out by German researchers suggests that staring at women's breasts is good for men's health and increases their life expectancy.

According to Dr. Karen Weatherby, a gerontologist and author of the study, gawking at women’s breasts is a healthy practice, almost at par with an intense exercise regime, that prolongs the lifespan of a man by five years.

She added, "Just 10 minutes of staring at the charms of a well-endowed female, is roughly equivalent to a 30-minute aerobics work-out."

Link!

Weatherby explained the concept stating, "Sexual excitement gets the heart pumping and improves blood circulation. There's no question: Gazing at breasts makes men healthy.

"Our study indicates that engaging in this activity a few minutes daily cuts the risk of stroke and heart attack in half. We believe that by doing so consistently, the average man can extend his life four to five years."

In addition, she also recommended that men over 40 should gaze at larger breasts daily for 10 minutes.

Curiously, the article ends with this line:

The German research is believed to be published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Believed to be?
Still, it seems to me it would be worth a try!
I have heard of studies being reported to say that men's health benefit from seeing women, especially naked women. I have not actually read any of these studies, so I am not sure what they might actually say if they do exist. Sadly, the nature of most science reporting today in the mainstream usually misconstrues or blatantly misrepresents the actual science. But this article at least sort of admits that they didn't do any fact checking whatsoever. Very odd and amusing.
it sounds totally crazy that 10 minutes of staring at breasts would be the same as a 30 minute workout!

I guess it depends if you are doing something else while staring?

What? I was going to say "like walking on a treadmill". Minds are all in the gutter!
Thank you women for keeping me healthy

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 11 minutes ago. 184 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service