Hello all, I am new to this site.  Loving it to the fullest extent.  Atheists are becoming more accepted in the world, but are still outcasts in many parts of it.  I am from the south, where most people are Christian, and claim to be devout.  The only part of their being devout consists of standing up for their religion, by putting down on any others than think differently.  I am hesitant to talk about myself being Atheist as a first subject in a conversation being the response I am likely to receive.  It's either you are Christian or a complete imbecile in the eyes of the majority of the population in the area.  I am in currently in college and enjoying the extended level of open-minded peers I meet.

Just posting to get involved, any responses are welcome and appreciated. :)

Tags: New, exclude, exclusion, feelings, louisiana

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just joined myself! I too live in an area where being an atheist is like saying you eat your own children or something. I find it hardest with the people I work with. 98% of them are christian. I find it difficult to even be a skeptic with many topics! It's always some sort of conspiracy of some sort trying to get the best of us. So because I work very closely with these people there are a lot of uncomfortable circumstances that happen. So l understand. Be strong!
I live in Boulder, Colorado.  The town is packed with Ph.D's (mostly in atmospheric and biochemical sciences) and software engineers.  Atheism is not a problem in this community.  So: there are places out there where atheism is accepted as a valid viewpoint.
Welcome mate, hope to see you in the discussions soon!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service