I'm beginning my journey as a "deconverted" person.  Any suggestions on how to transition from a life of preaching, praying, and speaking "Christianese"?

Views: 486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hiya...

Welcome aboard
Welcome aboard
Welcome! You've come to this website which is a good resource for speaking with like-minded and understanding individuals. I must admit my life didn't really change once I realized I no longer believed. I don't go to church anymore, but my involvement decreased over time before that and I had given up on praying. My only advice is to be careful who you share it with. I didn't tell my family until I was out of college and they are all fairly liberal and were never fanatics. If you think it will damage a relationship, go at it more slowly. I dropped hints about my own lack of belief and so when I revealed my atheism it didn't come as a huge surprise. But don't do things you don't want to do either. For example, I shouldn't have let my parents force me to go to church as long as I did.

Just be comfortable with your own ideas on the matter and really delve into why you think the way you do. Most people never really question their own beliefs or realize that they are just believing something because they were taught that way. Always question everything! Keeping that self-aware mindset, that we can always be wrong, goes a long way. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and went to school for science and engineering, so I was around a group that had a higher percentage of atheists than normal and was able to meet and befriend other fellow atheists rather easily. It may not be the same for you, but there might be groups or clubs where you can meet other atheists, if you wish. And there are always supportive individuals on this site. I know acknowleding my own atheism has made me more honest, more understanding and openminded, and more appreciative of life. I am sure it will do the same for you. Best of luck!

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service