I'm pretty sure most of you feel as I do about the Miss America pageant: YAWN!

But that's not what I'm writing about. I'm writing about how dumb some of my fellow Americans are.

Nina Davuluri, a born-in-America Hindu with family roots in India, is being depicted in vicious posts and tweets as a Muslim, an Arab, and "probably a terrorist."

A lot of Americans view any male with dark skin wearing almost anything other than a hat as probably Muslim. After 9/11, many a Sikh was treated as a probable terrorist. Sikhism is a religion having nothing whatsoever to do with Islam. It's far more closely related to Hinduism. All Sikh men are expected to wear that headgear consisting of a cloth wrapped around their head which we often associate with India. Hindu men don't wear headgear as a rule, even if they are Muslim.

Davuluri was also criticized for her pride in her Indian heritage rather than her Americanism. Would these same idiots be so critical of a woman being proud of her English, Irish, French, or German ancestry? I don't think so.

How did we as a people become so dumb? Is it a function being citizens in the world's most powerful economy?

Tags: America, Davuluri, Miss, Nina, Pageant

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bill Maher is great as always. The last part there saying that you can't blame all the bad behaviior today on social media applies over in the What's the matter with parents today? thread as well.

If Bill ran for President, I'd probably vote for him. 

Like that'd ever happen.

So click on "YouTube," get the embed code, and put it over there - I haven't time to support ALL of the topics you choose to fix your face to (how do you ever pass a mirror?).

Wrong side of bed this morning? Or just unwilling to do my bidding? ;)

We've found that pop culture and cable infortainment/news are not a substitute for a functioning education system.

RSS

Events

Services we love!

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service