I'm pretty sure most of you feel as I do about the Miss America pageant: YAWN!

But that's not what I'm writing about. I'm writing about how dumb some of my fellow Americans are.

Nina Davuluri, a born-in-America Hindu with family roots in India, is being depicted in vicious posts and tweets as a Muslim, an Arab, and "probably a terrorist."

A lot of Americans view any male with dark skin wearing almost anything other than a hat as probably Muslim. After 9/11, many a Sikh was treated as a probable terrorist. Sikhism is a religion having nothing whatsoever to do with Islam. It's far more closely related to Hinduism. All Sikh men are expected to wear that headgear consisting of a cloth wrapped around their head which we often associate with India. Hindu men don't wear headgear as a rule, even if they are Muslim.

Davuluri was also criticized for her pride in her Indian heritage rather than her Americanism. Would these same idiots be so critical of a woman being proud of her English, Irish, French, or German ancestry? I don't think so.

How did we as a people become so dumb? Is it a function being citizens in the world's most powerful economy?

Tags: America, Davuluri, Miss, Nina, Pageant

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try not to get caught up in simplified, literal definitions. Misogyny is often used to mean more than hatred or dislike of women. It can be manifested as sexual discrimination, sexual objectification, sexual and physical violence, or the denigration of women. Misogyny can be applied to concepts, objects, symbols, actions, and people of other sexes or genders, when such a person is 'read' as feminine. Think of it as the disdain for the feminine or the support of things which harm women.

I'm not convinced it's used that way "often" at all. And dictionary.com lists the meanings as: hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

I don't think you have any grounds for piling on all those additional concepts. It just adulterates the usefulness of the word since when someone uses it, it might mean so many diverse and distinct things. And, besides, I'm a professional writer and I'm pretty sensitive to how I hear words used.

You're way off base or you're living in a subculture that is misusing the word.

Never underestimate the dumbness and stupidity of the American public.  

And what do you wanna bet that a majority of those who posted racist tweets about Miss America would self-identify as "Christians"? I wouldn't be surprised if ALL of them were church-going Christians...

I don't think that's fair. I've known my fair share of racist idiots who wouldn't be caught dead in a church.

Part of me says 'par for the course' -- we're talking about the same population which was upset when movie adaptation cast a black girl to play a black character --, yet I always feel bad that individuals have to stand at the centre of such nonsense. In many cases, the hate is met with a backlash of support. In the overall picture, I think supporters of ethnic diversity are winning out, but in the meantime, it's a rather trying.

I am neither here nor there on Miss America. It has potential to do good and bad, but in the grand scheme of things I'd say it's an expensive way of being inconsequential. Still, for what it is, the crowning should be a moment that brings happiness, and at the very least I am not interested in trying to tear that happiness down. To mar it with senseless stupidity and racism is... well, senseless.

Hindu men don't wear headgear as a rule, even if they are Muslim.

Hmmm... is that worded correctly?

I don't know where my mind was when I wrote "Hindu men don't wear headgear as a rule, even if they are Muslim." Anyway, Hindu men in India don't as a rule where headgear, though they might on certain occasions or if they hold a certain office or station (much like American men typically don't wear hats, though they might if they are on-duty policemen directing traffic.) It's not like Sikh men who always wear their dastar when in public. I believe Muslim men wear a cap called a pagri, though I don't think it's necessary for them to wear it at all times.

I can't say I think much of beauty pageants, but I also can't put myself in the mind of a 22 year old Indian American Hindu girl. I do know that, to her, it had a lot to do with making Indians more accepted and better understood..

Bill Maher is great as always. The last part there saying that you can't blame all the bad behaviior today on social media applies over in the What's the matter with parents today? thread as well.

If Bill ran for President, I'd probably vote for him. 

Like that'd ever happen.

So click on "YouTube," get the embed code, and put it over there - I haven't time to support ALL of the topics you choose to fix your face to (how do you ever pass a mirror?).

Wrong side of bed this morning? Or just unwilling to do my bidding? ;)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com