*****UPDATE 2! THIS CONTEST HAS CONCLUDED. Thanks for participating!
*****UPDATE!: THE CONTEST IS NOW LIVE! COPY AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING TWEET TO ENTER (without the quotation marks obviously): "Hey @ThinkAtheist I want a copy of Stephen Law's Believing Bullshit! http://bit.ly/mzyLoB #atheism #skepticism #science"
it must be exact for our tracking to be able to recognize your entry so make sure you copy and paste it!
Alright, we're at the point now where we can start to release the details of the contest we're running whereby 3 (three) people will win a signed copy of Dr. Stephen Law's new book Believing Bullshit: How Not To Get Sucked Into an Intellectual Black Hole. (Amazon, Amazon UK, B&N)
The description of the book reads as follows:
Wacky and ridiculous belief systems abound. Members of the Heaven's Gate suicide cult believed they were taking a ride to heaven on board a UFO. Muslim suicide bombers expect to be greeted after death by 72 heavenly virgins. And many fundamentalist Christians insist the entire universe is just 6,000 years old.
Of course it's not only cults and religions that promote bizarre beliefs. Significant numbers of people believe that aliens built the pyramids, that the Holocaust never happened, and that the World Trade Center was brought down by the US government.
How do such ridiculous views succeed in entrenching themselves in the minds of sane, intelligent, college-educated people and turn them into the willing slaves of claptrap? How, in particular, do the true believers manage to convince themselves that they are the rational, reasonable ones and that everyone else is deluded?
Believing Bullshit identifies eight key mechanisms that can transform a set of ideas into a psychological flytrap. Philosopher Stephen Law suggests that, like the black holes of outer space, from which nothing, not even light, can escape, our contemporary cultural landscape contains numerous intellectual black-holes—belief systems constructed in such a way that unwary passers-by can similarly find themselves drawn in. While such self-sealing bubbles of belief will most easily trap the gullible or poorly educated, even the most intelligent and educated of us are potentially vulnerable. Some of the world's greatest thinkers have fallen in, never to escape.
Law's witty, insightful critique will help immunize readers against the wiles of cultists, religious and political zealots, conspiracy theorists, promoters of flaky alternative medicines, and various other nutcases by clearly setting out the tricks of the trade by which such insidious belief systems are created and maintained.
Here are the details:
1) The contest is open to anyone with a Twitter account. Create one now so that you're prepared ahead of time for the contest. As opposed to previous contests, you need not necessarily be a member of Think Atheist!
2) The contest will be held 9AM Friday July 8th to 12PM Sunday July 10th. (All times are Eastern US. Here's a timezone converter for those in other timezones around the world.)
3) You will be considered to have entered the contest when you take to Twitter between the hours of 9AM Friday July 8th and 12PM Sunday July 10th to follow Think Atheist on Twitter and tweet a specific phrase. This page will be updated Friday morning with the specific phrase that will need to be tweeted. (It does no good to attempt, on the basis of our previous contests, to try to guess the phrase as tweets sent before the contest won't be counted. Having said that, if you'd like to follow Think Atheist on Twitter ahead of time there's no problem whatsoever in your doing so.)
4) One entry per person. Multiple entries will not count and may result in your being excluded from the contest entirely!
5) At the conclusion of the contest we will randomly draw 3 numbers corresponding to 3 entrants. Winners will be announced on the Think Atheist Radio Show on July 10th beginning at 5PM Pacific/8PM Eastern*. Make sure you tune in to the show Sunday July 10th to see if you've won! (Remember, if you can't listen live you can listen to the show from the archive at any time immediately following its having aired live!) *Should any of the chosen entrants not be verified as followers of Think Atheist on Twitter we will then randomly select another entrant. This will continue until such time as we have 3 verified Think Atheist Twitter followers as winners.
6) Winners MUST contact me by emailing Nelson@iThinkAtheist.com with their address within 48 hours of the announcement to be eligible to receive their prize.** Upon verification of their eligibility as Twitter followers of Think Atheist we will take the shipping address of the winners and forward them to Dr. Law. All costs of shipping the book will be handled at no cost to the winners, whether a winner is within or without the US.
**IF YOU DO NOT CONTACT ME WITHIN 48 HOURS WITH YOUR ADDRESS TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE YOU WILL FORFEIT THE PRIZE AND ANOTHER WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN. THIS WILL GO ON UNTIL WE HAVE 3 CONFIRMED WINNERS THAT HAVE CLAIMED THEIR PRIZE BY GIVING US THEIR ADDRESS
Check out Dr. Law's blog and read the interview he gave to New Scientist on the subject of the book.
So there you go everyone! Thanks to Prometheus Books and Dr. Law for being so gracious! Create your Twitter profile. Get ready!
Replies are closed for this discussion.
I think you meant to say it's in effect until Sunday "JULY" 10th, rather than "June" 10th.
the specific contest entering phrase/tweet will be announced Friday morning. you haven't missed anything. :)
the phrase will mention Think Atheist and the title of the book as well as have some targeted hashtags.
The cover page of this book is great. I wonder what’s inside. Just cruise what I see on the cover page is this “one man is peeping from the four holes” Does this relate to the four human blood types? I see it that way. i love science. A, B, AB and O. The man peeps from the O. Or is it the blood type O peeping. I’m B+ this book is concern to me, I need to read it.