I feel that irrational beliefs are potentially very dangerous for the individuals involved and the world as a whole and I therefore consider myself to be an anti-theist and I try to fight irrationality wherever it goes, but it recently hit home for me and I have no clue how to handle the situation.

When I met my wife, who I've now been married to for only a year and a half, she believed in god but was questioning it. After talking about it with me, she began to acknowledge that there probably isn't a god and she eventually lost her faith. I thought that her religious days were done. The problem is that now, she believes (don't laugh...) that there will someday be a zombie apocalypse. I have tried to talk to her about the more scientific view of the concept of zombies, but just like a theist, she refuses to acknowledge that fearing a zombie apocalypse is completely irrational.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't for the fact that I am so active in fighting dogmatic thinking. Most of our most cherished discussions have been about religion and why it's so ridiculous. Now, I can't even talk to her about things like that because I just can't take her seriously knowing that she is being hypocritical by denouncing religion because there is no evidence for it but at the same time believing that dead people are going to eat her brains.

She doesn't have a thinkatheist account, so this is really the only place I have any hope of finding help with this situation without embarrassing her. Any help in resolving this situation would be very much appreciated.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cracked.com is a humor site. Don't tell me you're taking anything out of there that seriously.
Cracked is a humor site. But why would that mean one shouldn't take anything seriously out of it? I have found Cracked to be very relevant of late and many times quite accurate, even if they are being a bit tongue-in-cheek in the presentation.
I would just use caution - take everything there with a grain of salt. I wouldn't put it past them to exaggerate to make thinks more interesting or comical.
The Daily Show is a comedy show, but it still manages to deliver the news way the hell better than Fox, LOL!
I wouldn't put that past anyone. ;-)
You know I was all la de da until I read your link.
She's probably just screwing with you. If she isn't, non-existent God help you. Although I suppose that's more "fun" than dealing with a person that believes in any form of god(s), think about your potential children. If she's dead serious, divorce and run away. I wouldn't want that genetic material in my offspring.
Haha. Well, I guess I'm hoping it's more about being raised in a religious home than about genetics. I will say that if we have children and she starts teaching them things like that, I will definitely speak up for the sake of my children.

I don't think she is just screwing with me. I have only been married to her for a year and a half but we were together for 5 years before that. I'm pretty sure I know her well enough to know that she doesn't have the capacity to mess with me like that and keep a straight face for so long about it. Then again, one would think I would know her well enough to have been able to see a situation like this coming anyway...
I have never heard of anyone actually believing or speaking seriously of a "Zombie Apocalypse." Just saying - Watch your back and be ready to run the hell outta there.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 51 minutes ago. 86 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service