I am in debate with a Christian who's biggest claim of evidence for creation is that DNA is a coded language that requires an intelligent designer.
He mentioned a book by Anthony Flew called "There is a God"....and this is where he got this theory. I'm googling my ass off to study this so I can see if it's true or false. I'm assuming there is a scientific explanation but am still looking.
Can anyone help?
1. Shan’t! Do you have a phobia about talkorigins or something. Seriously, it takes 5 minutes to read these things, unlike all your forum posts (which still don’t credit Gitt) that are like 300 pages long. You have your own website. Surely you can organize all the points you make into something that’s a little easier to read.
2. No, this is what you infer from looking at design. In your reasoning you observe design in designed things and then apply it to biology, not the other way around. You’re just replacing chemistry with supernatural causation, which has no place in science.
3. “If we received codes from outer space tomorrow (like SETI has been watching for for many years) then that would show that codes can come from somewhere besides humans.”
- Which would be designed, because they are codes. Guess that alternative isn’t too easy to come up with after all. Go go gadget circular logic.
4. What?!! Loosely garbled together sentences that collapse into tautology and circular logic aren’t serious arguments? Holy crap, I just won the argument!!!!!
- What I’m trying to say is that if my logic fails then so does yours. I’m using the same line of inference as you with one extra point #1 that you’ve already admitted was sound.
- If everything has a first cause, then so does god.
5. “Apoptosis is teleological, just like you writing comments on my blog is teleological. God's constant intervention is not needed for either to happen.”
- Which is fine theologically, but it’s not science.
The way I see it, he has nowhere to go but around in a circle from now on.
If he wants to talk about codes then let him.....codes are structures which humans RECOGNISE...not necessarily create.
A simple example is ascii codes, the CODE 'M' is represented by 01000001, which is merely a pattern of 1's and 0's. There is NO REASON to believe that this pattern could not appear in nature. From this we can reason that DNA is merely a pattern of <whatever DNA is made up of>.
Athiests win this argument. BTW is there a name for this argument? "Just because something CAN be created does NOT mean it was created"