Is it o.k. to be so self centered that when someone says, "Y'know someone always has it worse.", to shrug it off as inapplicable? I would say coldly, no.

It's the whole "glass half full/empty" parable, I say it's half empty, you say half full= perspective=relative.

I hold on to the notion of everything is relative, meaning one's perspective is not the same as another's.

Yet sympathy pervails, we feel another's plight, but when it comes down to it, why do we feel sympathy?

I would argue it is becacause we derive a sense of gratificacation from "helping" it makes us feel good to do so.

So my question is, Are we not all doing "good" based off of narcissistic ideals if even sub-concious? (assuming the notion of 'good' isn's scripitually based...)

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, we do good because the Superego ultimately supersedes the Id in causing The Ego to act.
I agree with your interpretation. The base reason we do anything "good" is because of how it affects us or makes us feel. We do good things because it makes us feel good, improves our relationship with another person or group, or improves our standard of living in either a tangible or intangible way.
so I guess my question should be rephrased, does Narcissim have a place? As humans we emapathise yet are ultimatly selfish, to an extant.

Actually, since the discovery of mirror neurons, we now know that we really do experience what we observe others experiencing.  This ties us together in the experience so that in helping others we are actually feeling the relief we are providing.  I view it as a very complex implementation of Dawkins' selfish gene.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 2 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service