I just came across this on Wikipedia, and I am still reeling in astonishment. It's called the 'Omnipotence Paradox.' Just thought I'd throw it on here to give you guys some quick and easy ammo against theists. I'll give you the scientific idea, then the example (aka 'Paradox of the Stone').
If a being can perform such actions, then it can limit it's own ability to perform such actions. By this arguement, it cannot perform all actions, yet, on the other hand if it cannot limit it's own actions, then that is something it cannot do, and therefore, is not omnipotent.
And now for the easy version:

Could god create a stone so heavy that even he could not lift it? If so, he would then cease to be omnipotent. If not, he was not omnipotent to begin with.

Thank you for your time and patience. Another win for the Rationalists brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Atheist,

Maggie

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This reminds me of Epicurus:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
I've got that quote on my wall followed by 'Atheists, winning since 33 AD'.
I've got that quote on my favorite Atheist t-shirt.
I've got that quote somewhere on my cortex
I put that up on FB a while back, too.  It's one of my favorites.
Thank You for posting that quote. I have never heard it before. That is why I love coming to this website (TA). I’ve learned so much from it.
That's like asking God to create another God. And the believers would reply that it's not that he couldn't but that he wouldn't.

If God did invent a stone so heavy he couldn't lift it, he would probably just go all Dragon Ball Z and increase his power. XD
Super saiyan god!
Bah. Super saiyans are foolish.
IT'S OVER NINE-THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!
What?! Nine Thousand?!

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 9 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service