In my area, in a city called Salisbury, MD, there are couple of billboards that are pro-religion, such as "Wise Men Follow Jesus" and my favorite, "Real Men Follow Jesus."

So here is my "retaliation". I hope you like. :)

Tags: atheist, don't, follow, friends, have, imaginary, jesus, men, real, think, More…wise

Views: 85

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The fact the many Moslem women are sequestered from knowledge, the news, the outside world, and only allowed to learn what is in the Koran, which makes it abundantly clear what her place is, doesn't in any way effect the way her life is lived? She can't withhold sex because her husband has the right to rape her, and she can't slit his throat while he sleeps because she would be doomed to hell.
I was just using Moslem women as one egregious example. I don't think our culture is anything to get pumped up about either. I am not part of this government, I was just born here. Your reaction seem a little over the top. I don't know what it is you think I said, but whatever it was that you think I meant, you're sadly mistaken. Did you not note the "?" at the end of those two sentences that seem to have so perturbed you? So, get right with Bob and chill dude.
If our involvement in those countries is for such glorious purposes and we are fulfilling that purpose, why is it that the young men and women we send over there are, when they come back, committing suicide at a rate that EXCEEDS the casualty rate while they are there?

Wow. I do love how anything plays into your fantasy narrative. Go ahead, Larry. Don't just beat around the bush by asking such scandalous and insinuating questions. Tell us the reason why war veterans are at higher risk for suicide.
Just think if this lady was condemned to flipping burgers and listening to Justin Beiber!
Listen, I understand where you're coming from. But it's not effective in getting people to understand us if we make ourselves out to be so much more superior and knowledgeable. We don't KNOW that there's no god. We're just open to more knowledge than they are.
Your examples given earlier to Doug were imagined. Mine was real.

We get it, though. You don't like 'Merika. But while you bemoan "Amerikan" atrocities of music and fast food, why do you tacitly support International ones by claiming the Prime Directive? Will you go on the record as supporting Honor Killings if they are culturally relevant?
Listen, I understand where you're coming from. But it's not effective in getting people to understand us if we make ourselves out to be so much more superior and knowledgeable. We don't KNOW that there's no god. We're just open to more knowledge than they are.

Of course you can't prove a negative; that is a straw man and not something I have ever proposed.

But, can you prove that effective communication excludes being forceful or offensive to some people? You make the claim that it is not. How do you know that? Or is this along the Accommodationist desire to never distinguish the difference between respect of people and respect of beliefs?

Again, to clarify, I am not advocating smugly going around telling people they are stupid. But when even your quiet atheism still offends some religious folk, how will you appease them? Or will you tacitly support their beliefs with your deference and conversion?

This huge concern over being offensive is being blown out of proportion. When you have mutually exclusive world views and you are in the minority fighting for the correct one, you will offend people. If you don't, then you really are ineffectual.

Think about any socially progressive movement in the United States over the last 200 years and name one where people were not offended or harsh words were not used. Let us name one movement that was effective, that changed such a core belief in a large amount of people, and didn't offend hardly a soul and examine it as a model for expanding a reality based view.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Atheist Family Dinner Billboard

Started by LWatts. Last reply by Redlilly Pond Nov 11, 2013. 23 Replies

Atheist Billboard

Started by jean Rodriguez. Last reply by Jhayes Nov 11, 2013. 3 Replies

Perhaps being settle is a good option

Started by Megan Sasher Mar 24, 2012. 0 Replies

Atheist Billboard Idea

Started by John E Robinson. Last reply by R Allan Worrell Feb 23, 2012. 12 Replies

Billboard - Above us only sky

Started by LSM. Last reply by Becca Aug 29, 2011. 1 Reply

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 24 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service