I issue a challenge.

Can anybody find a more honest christian?

Thought you guys would enjoy this... I have a friend who lives close to me, lovely old guy, who used to be a minister at a local church. We get on well, share gardening tips, small talk, the odd cup of coffee. I have been fascinated for a long time with finding out his story - as the reasons why he left the church seem shrouded in mystery.
Well one day, I was feeling a little mischevious and steered the conversation subtley on to religious belief, we quickly began debating the usual parry and repostes we have come to expect i.e. evolution, lack of evidence, biblical floods, big bang etc etc. Getting tired of going nowhere fast I decided to go in for the kill...asking him how he justified his belief (as he did) in the old testament namely Duter. and Levit. (I quoted chapter and verse from my "ready to hand - in case a christian comes a-callin" worse aspects of these wretched books.
He answered me as plainly as I tell you now...

" I just ignore them"

Thats it, folks.... by far the most honest answer yet provided by a christian defending the bible!

Anybody have a similar experience?

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

..still bouncing your boobs but not providing substance.
I'm out.
Someone gimme a yell if anything changes.
warn me if you give any substance. As you're still driving that Ferrari.... Wait until you meet the front end of a 1968 mustang. The Ferrari gives way. Because it is made of fiberglass. And the mustang is made of steel.

Too bad you could not keep up.
You're only parroting Misty's response. It's not her fault you can't form a coherent argument.

Instead of creating empty-headed metaphors, try making a valid point.
OHHHHH, I think I see where part of the misunderstanding lies.

Quote from Guardian:
"Making a choice to believe in a said, belief becomes part of each individuals larger picture, or beliefs which make up the individuals religion being that each of the beliefs are unique to the person.

Atheism deals with a belief, in which it becomes a smaller part of the person beliefs which make up what guide their lives, their religion."

You're seeing it as everyone has religion, general concept. Whatever your beliefs related to religion that is your religion. That's not at all the case, sweetie. For many, many people religion is not a factor in their life at all. Some people don't even go to the trouble of formulating beliefs, or lack thereof, regarding god(s). Not everyone has religion or a religion. Atheism is not religion just because it deals with a mostly religious subject. Not even everyone who believes in a deity or deities has religion or follows a religion.
Stacy, I'm not sure, but it sounds as if Guardian is equating religion with worldview.
Wow... he ACTUALLY admited that? OMG!!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com