According to a recent Gallup poll (http://www.worldreligionnews.com/issues/can-religion-solve-worlds-p...) article the majority of Americans still believe that religion can solve the world's problems. Just looking at the Middle East makes me wonder how in the hell that is possible. After reviewing the polling data it is obvious that the key to continued secularization of our society is education and our youth. As our younger generations continue to increase their understanding of our universe the relevance of religion will hopefully continue to diminish. My hope is that these enlightened individuals will steer our civilization away from religious thought and concentrate on stabilizing our planet environmentally and halt the bloodshed of war. One obstacle is that the religious are more prone to procreate in numbers and subsequently indoctrinate their offspring. Unfortunately the reality is that most atheists/secularists are not interested necessarily in having four or five kids, with good reason. This makes it all the more important to establish a secular educational system that teaches the value of logical thinking & reasoning skills, and to question the validity of outdated information. Today's youth seems much less willing to accept outright what their parents and grandparents told them about religion. We are becoming less gullible and naive with each succeeding generation and less willing to drink the kool-aid that is religion. I hope this trend continues for there is little time to waste.

Tags: young, youth

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a father of 20 somthing young persons, I fully agree!

For a moment there I thought you had fathered more than 20 children! I take it you mean you have (fewer) children but they are in their 20's. :)

the majority of Americans still believe that religion can solve the world's problems. Just looking at the Middle East makes me wonder how in the hell that is possible.

The Americans in question think that THEIR religion can solve the world's problems... Once the other religions are out of the way. The same can be said of middle easterners.

Agreed.

Where do live Elle?

Ed, there is little time to waste before what?

Our environment is totally unbalanced by man's negative influences and war spreads throughout all the continents.

One obstacle is that the religious are more prone to procreate in numbers and subsequently indoctrinate their offspring.

i don't think numbers matter. i don't think i would raise my kids as atheists but rather will raise them as as open minded freethinkers  who are willing to question and explore everything .. they might find comfort in religion .. who knows.

I was raised as an atheist and i believe most of the atheists in the middle east came out of religious families and had religious non-secular education.

i don't think that this trend will fade .. the wave of reason and science is rising.

In the case of radical Middle Eastern Muslims, they raise their large families in a manner that instills fear and loathing of western ideals. This indoctrination of children leads to a continuing cycle of hatred towards all things/persons not grounded in Islamic law.

I had a great conversation with my 8 yr old daughter after an outdoor wedding. I asked if she was glad it wasn't in a church, and she said yes because she didn't like all the praying stuff. Then she said she didn't think she believed in god and jesus. I went on to say she can believe what she wants, but it's important to learn about both science and religion and to make a choice based on what makes sense to her. Her favorite book is a pop up book about the big bang, and one about exploring the human body. I told her to never stop learning. I'm so proud of her.

Hi Marc, I have given several copies of "The Magic of Reality" to nieces and nephews. They all enjoy it. Even some parents discovered something new ;-)

@Marc
That just choked me up a little.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service