My fail-proof response to any "Used to be" atheist that tries to convert me

I really enjoyed this and I thought I would share.

Hebrews 6:4-8

"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned."

100% of the time, I hear back. "I didn't know that. Well, I don't believe that part." So, of course my response is, "We're in agreement then; I don't believe the part that says I'm going to Hell either."

I've never seen someone recover. Enjoy! Via: Reddit

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's no better weapon against the Bible than the Bible itself.

Citing the Bible. I usually don't use that method. It's just a book and people might discard parts that come from it like any sane person.

Depends on the case. For the fundamentalists, quoting works well. For rational people usually a conversation is better.

Used-to-be atheist: "I used to be an atheist."

Atheist: "You succeeded proving that deities exist?"

1: "No."

---end---

2: "Yes."

---start a conversation if you fancy(if you have time and mood). If he was an atheist we can presume he knows how to think---

If he was an atheist, he doesn't really know how to think. So far, there is no rational reason to go back to a religion, or to worship a god, or to just believe that that or any god exists, after you have stopped believing in the existence of any god for the right reasons. In my opinion, if you are just trying to rebel against something or someone, you are not really an atheist, even if the meaning of the word can be attributed to you too. I can't say that a person that used to be an atheist knows how to think or even that that person is actually sane. That person is even more deluded than a regular theist, because that person now thinks that he or she has been to both sides and knows what means to be an atheist, and that his or her decision is even more informed and even more correct, and there are even less chances of having a rational conversation about gods and religions with such a person.

I wouldn't use the Bible that often either, because I wouldn't want them think I actually believe what is written there. Sure, I would use some quotations as a quick comeback and just to mess with that person, but I would not expect to be taken seriously or to make that person instantly change his or her mind.

A theist would discard something from the Bible or any other presumed sacred texts only when it would interfere directly with him or her. Otherwise, it's all true. It's that simple. I bet someone can say that some parts from the Bible are not true or accurate in a situation, and regard them as the ultimate truth in another situation. (E.g.: when you fornicate with the neighbour's wife it's okay, otherwise listen to the Bible ;) ) They are theists, they do anything they want, even if it defies logic and common sense.

Anyway, I don't think that someone can think straight after returning to a religion or to a god - unless they have proven that that god exists, which we know they can't and they start with their circular reasoning - which does not support the idea that they know how to think.

Pretty much it.

Also, there are atheists that come back to that belief when facing hard times. I saw in the first episode of Battlestar Galactica the attitude when the scientist said "I repent!" and everything went well. Stereotypical, really. But that's what happens inside peoples mind when they are put in the corner and see now way out. They try to take an unusual route. 

I wouldn't use the Bible that often either, because I wouldn't want them think I actually believe what is written there.

Well said.

Yes - that is good. I have never met anyone who mentally regressed to the extent of starting to believe in gods no matter what happened in their lives. There seems to be a lot of these conversions getting reported. He was not an Atheist.

Damn it to hell, now I first have to become a Christian to become Atheist again before it's official?

How quickly can it be done? Do I have to be awake?

That sounds really sinister. Maybe there's a way around this, like the option Brian Flemming offered. Seems less painful to save myself from Christianity by doing a Mark 3:29, a Matthew 12:31, or a Luke 12:10.

אני מכחיש את קיומו של רוח הקודש

So, that's that. Now I have to figure out a magic spell to preempt becoming a Hindu.  

That is brilliant.
Apostacy is always the worst mortal sin. Our minds cannot un-ring the bell or fail to think again and again about the giant blue horse. Paging George Lakhoff. Once a new thought builds a new mental frame - "round logs placed under a load make it easier to move" the true faith that logs are our ancestor spirits that must be worshiped slips in the ratings and that show will not be renewed for next season.
Love it!

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 10 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service