This was my FB post today:

Someone asked me why an atheist celebrates Christmas. I said that many Christians celebrate Halloween, and the fun and tradition keeps it going for me.  I also respect many of the teachings of Jesus such as forgiveness and charity. This Christmas my wish is that we can all get along, that we can respect eachother's beliefs or lackthereof, and that we find common ground in the love and humanity in each of us.

Happy Holidays everyone :)

Tags: Christmas, holidays

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you to Janelle,but this week as a saw a video of David Silverman of American atheists i think of whom I find myself totally agreeing with usually on fox news(again) arguing against Christmas trees in the work place,now I'm a 6.99 atheist myself but even I think he'd gone to far,after all the Christmas tree if anything is an old pagan practice about decorating an evergreen a tree in the harsh winters to remind them that soon their crops would grow again,and how many people think of jesus or whatever when they look at a Christmas tree?I was with him on the Nativity scenes and the billboards  but the Christmas tree argument on fox did more harm than good for atheists I felt.

Why is it that, while many Christians believe that athiests can't be ethical, atheists are the benevolent, tolerant, & forgiving ones?  Some of the core values of many of the religions teach these values, but the followers only think it applies to others that think like them.

I've had many theist friends that have said my atheist wife and myself are better Christians than those that sit in churches with them on Sundays.  Is that a compliment?

Enjoy the holidays!

I've heard that one, eyes rolling...
I agree completely and wish for the same thing this christmas.  But you know what i dont get?  Christmas is supposed to be a cheerful, no fight holiday and i find it pathetic that not one person can do this for one meesily day.  That fact alone is so sad......

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 3 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service