I read posts here that call different things, "harmful to humanity."  Others call something, "good" or "bad" or "evil."

A very simple question, who gets to decide the definition of  "harmful to humanity" and what is there critieria? The same for "good," "bad," and "evil?" These are not material terms. If everything is material isn't there just "is" and not these moral declarations if one is being thoroughly atheist?

Help me understand your position so I am fair and honest about the views. Thanks.

Views: 7405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Light, Prisms, and the Rainbow Connection

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/optics/activities/students/prisms.html

"Did you know that the light from the sun or from white electric lights is made up of all the colors that can be seen by the human eye? In this activity you will use a prism to prove that this is true. You will find that when you shine a light in just the right way on a prism, the light enters the prism, bends (or refracts), and spreads out, showing us all of the beautiful colors of a rainbow.

The rainbows we sometimes see in the sky work in the same way. When sunlight shines on raindrops in just the right way, the sunlight is bent as it moves through the drops. It spreads out and is reflected back to us as a colorful rainbow in the sky.

The group of colors that we can see with a prism or in a rainbow is called the color spectrum. These colors always appear in the same order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. An easy way to remember the order of colors of the spectrum is to remember the name ROY G. BIV. Each letter of the name is the first letter of a color."

This is why I like THINK ATHEIST!  I like the think part more than the atheist part.  The people I talk to in Tampa accept rumor, gossip, speculation, prejudice, and faith, as equivalent to fact.  When I'm told something as 'gospel truth',  I ask how the person KNOWS this is a fact.  He usually looks at me as if to say, "What difference does that make?"  It reminds me of  Ntozake Shange's play "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf."

I had a teacher tell us that the perception of color is an illusion. Like a mirage, we can all see it and describe (usually) the same thing, but since it's not a material object, it's an illusion.

But wait, there's more! A whole, somewhat scientific description of rainbow. There's no use of the words illusion or epiphenomenon, but there's certainly more discussion there than most of us would be interested in. Enjoy.

Have we taken this too far, yet? Figuratively, I mean.

In any case, merry ROYGBIV.

Take an object that's orange in color. Did it ever occur to you that the reason it appears orange is that that is the part of spectrum the object rejects by letting it bounce off? In other words, the orange object is, in fact, all the rest of the visible spectrum OTHER than orange!

Also, from the Wikipedia article: "The rainbow is not located at a specific distance, but comes from any water droplets viewed from a certain angle relative to the Sun's rays." It's an optical illusion.

Despite this and the many other insights here, does anyone think Wretched Saint will ever understand?

BTW, color is an optical illusion and a mental conclusion. The mind is so easily tricked.

good or bad are concepts that are not absolute but are transient. they change with time. pushed farther, good can be seen as the way of the powerful, it was good to own a slave and bad to have inter racial marriages. but these two things have changed and so all other standards of good abd bad will change with time.

evil exists only if you include religion in the picture.

who decides whats harmful to humanity- anything that is in the long run detrimental to the survival of the species at large or a specific community is harmful. we do not need a council to decide this.

I think the ones who decide come from the group of those who can decide. There are many who want to decide, but can't for various reasons. Also, there are many who have no knowledge of the decisions to be made. Some people don't even know they are deciding even though clearly from another perspective, they are;  or they believe that deciding is unreal or illusory.

@Blaine Leavitt

Thank you for that. As usual we always have exceptions, people that have Tritanopia, Protanopia and Deuteranopia. People who are completely color blind would see the rainbow in shades of gray – and perhaps they would see everything as either black, white, or a shade gray.

And if their vision was in the radio frequency end of the electromagnetic spectrum, they probably wouldn't even know what a rainbow is.

I pity all the people with the various '...nopias' who can't see rainbows.  I've seen two at once in Puerto Rico.  I love to see them. 

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service